UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Living In Norfolk

gillyb3

flowers.gif I was wondering if anybody on here lives in norfolk.

We had a trainer lady came round last friday very nice to help us with a retriever not to bark at other dogs and be friendly.

We have had him 2months and while he seems fine with the ladys, he can be abit funny with the boys, he does growl at them. This trainer bought her male 2yr cocker and he was really good when our dog barked at him but after afew minutes and growls they did finally walk together perfectly.biggrin.gif .

So we was told to meet 3dogs aweek and dont beat our selfs up if he growls just pull back and walk on.

We are also working on whistle recall, whistle next to him and get liver treat. etc im guessing you problerly know all this.

I could really do with finding some friendly people/dogs to meet up with but around here there are afew not friendly dogs and everybody seems to have done a runner in this weather.

So does anybody know people in norfolk that may be able to help us.

gillian

p.s need some confidence meunsure.gif , just worried incase he bits another dog. think his just trying it on and wants to be boss with other dogs.

Unfortunately I live far too far away to help - other than to say, relax. When I first fostered Ginny (staffy) I was worried about how she would react with other dogs as she came from the pound and I had no knowledge of what she was like. My nervousness transferred to her and she would react by growling at most dogs. Luckily a canine behaviourist offered me some help so off I went to meet Becky and her two year old staffy and 2yro ddbordeaux - in an indoor arena. After first being very nervous Becky told me to relax, if they had a go at each other she would stop it and from then on both Ginny and I have been fine. It was very much down to me being more confident and not nervous, I'm sure that could help you too. Good luck!

Edited by olivea

wub.gif Thankyou olivea, its hard to relax but im trying, just so worried incase he does actually bite another dog. It comes from our last dog she hates other dogs and we knew that from day one getting her as the rescue centre told us so we just avoid all dogs and went out of our way. And we had her for 9yrs so my body has got use to that, so when she died we thought we take on a laid back old dog ha ha well we all know that rescue dogs do hid afew problems but he did seem very laid back at the kennels rolleyes.gif , and was told he was no problem. His very loving thou, dont get me wrong, im home alday on my own while other half goes to work so our dog is my company which i love.

Anyway we will work on it.

Greygal (sorry dont know you name) we live near fakenham. Do you live in norfolk?.

Gillian

Thankyou for the offer cheryl, slight worry you say you only have little dogs.

The trainer lady said not to walk with to smaller dogs as he will tower over them to much and could worry them.

What dogs do you have if you dont mind me asking?.

We do have a lady next door but one that will help when she is around and walking her dogs, she has a white male terrier but long leg one and a spaniel girl, our dog doesnt seem to have problem with the girl just the boy but were told that if he growls to walk on and not say anything. The good thing is their owner is very understanding about it all and doesnt worry about it, (thankgod).

She says the more good meets we have the better we would all feel.Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

I have just come back from holkham, he walked for 1hr 45minute and now totally done in bless him, very cold thou out there. He will bark at the deer when close bywub.gif .

Do you walk at any of these big places cheryl?.

Seems like everybody lives quite away from here. Thankyou again for the offer.

Gillian

We have 1 Chihuahua, 1 Pomeranian, 1 Papillon and 1 King Charles cross Papillon.

We also have 2 very special foster dogs 1 Chihuahua and 1 small/medium Terrier Cross.

My daughter has a 1 Papillon and 1 German Spitz - Klein. We also walk these.

We do go for walks at Sea Palling, Winterton on sea and Hemsby beach.

We also use good pet friendly walks which are to be found at Coltishall, Ranworth, South Walsham,

Bacton Woods, Ludham and Thurne. We have been to holkham and Holt Country Park but this is some way from us.

If you get five minuets have a look on this site http://www.tournorfolk.co.uk/petswelcome.html.

Cheryl & Mike xxx