UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Medical Peeps Especially Geriatric Knowledge.

Kathyw

My Mum is having a scan on the 16th of this month to determine whether she has dementia and or the extent of it - so the home says!

This waa asked for by Mum's social worker in Febuary and they have just got round to getting the appointment after I screamed blue murder.

Mum rarely remembers anyones name, what day of the week it is and time is beyond her nowdays.

Bizarre conversations are the norm - she still knows who I am but sometimes cannot remember the word daughter.

Mum also forgets sometimes that she has eaten and will ask for food as she is hungry despite having eaten breakfast/dinner whatever just beforehand.

This alone tells me she has dementia as her brain is not registering she has eaten.

Do the scans really give the extent of the dementia and if they do would meds be given to aliviate the symptoms?

Thank you for any answers or advice.

Although it was obvious to us my mum had a brain scan to determine if she had dementia, I think it is also to rule out any physical reason for their change in behaviour & memory. She was diagnosed with vascular dementia which menas she has TIA's (like small short circuits in the brain) she was put on medication as she was hallucinating at the time and although the dementia will get worse some of her other symptoms such as 'seeing things & constant pacing have stopped.

I feel so lucky with the care home she is in, I have never met such dedicated, patient people in my life. They are wonderful with us too & have somehow managed to find the time to try & support us too. Must be a real worry to have to keep chasing things up - hope it goes well.

It was explained to me as I remember ( and excuse if I have forgotten anything)

Alzheimers can only be detected by a post mortem , (I declined ) and ctscans for this are still thought of as experimental; but they MAY show up other forms. You are not likely to have other forms when there is a strong presence of Alzheimers in the family already. Some of them can be detected by other methods.

They do claim (depending on area ) that they are pretty quick to get them done these days as its one of the waiting lists they targetted . They use these mobile trailers scanners around here.

Thank you everyone espec Sam.

I have been on all the sites for this problem but I wanted the perspective of people who actually deal with dementia sufferers ie how well do the meds work if they are needed.

Unfortunately I don;t think there is a need for the scan to confirm anything - I want Mum to have it but any hopes I had that it might be a urine infection were dashed (urine infections can cause confusion) forever. They had checked her urine but yesterday Mum laid on her bed all day and refused to eat. Staff said Mum never lays on her bed except to sleep at night or if unwell and then she is undressed and in the bed.

I went to see her this morning and it was like a slap in the face.

The deterioration has been dramatic and swift.

Mum knew who I was but that was about it.

Miguel (the manager) said that although we knew this was there and would only get worse, I had to be aware that things had moved very fast and had to prepare myself for what was to come.

How the f*ck do I do that? This has been too fast, I was thinking her memory would just gradually slip away but it's almost gone and although she still looks like my Mum, my Mum isn't really there anymore.

I don;t get it at all - it's too too quick.

She keeps asking everyone why no-one told her my Dad had come home, he had a key but no-one told her.

She is very upset about it and cannot be pacified and I was at a lost to help her. Whatever I said didn't register.

She asked about my dogs????? yet didn't know who Ray was.

Have any of you medical peeps known it too move so swiftly as this? Almost overnight a dramatic change?

Its as if a whole year has vanished into a day if you know what I mean?

I know I should have spoken more to Miguel but I needed to get away from there coward that I am, I just was not ready to hear anymore. Miguel was wonderful but I had the feeling of getting Mum and running away with her so I had to leave.

I want to hear more from carers/medical peeps of their experiences so I am more prepared for what Miguel tells me. I always take the easiest route and this is no different.

Thank you for any input you can give me from your personel experience please.