UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Woman On Trial For Dog Fighting

blackmagic

The sentences handed down are truly pathetic. The law needs to change.

I agree, at least they did get sentences near/to the maximum end of what can be given, but they are ridiculously short. I know it wouldn't stop things completely - as the US seems to have harsher sentencing and still dog fighting goes on - but hopefully it would help the problem somehow.

And the "these dogs are not pet dogs" bit - obviously none of those eejits has ever seen any footage of Michael Vick's dogs: some of these are PAT dogs now!! Bloody ignorance .... :( :( :mecry: :angry:

Do you mean the judge's comment? I read the BBC article yesterday - link -

District judge Richard Blake said: "There's widespread public objection at these sorts of offences; of the sadistic abuse of animals for entertainment.

"The dogs in this case are not in any way pets - they are animals used for sadistic entertainment and perverted pleasure."

and I saw his comments more as a judgment about the b******s involved rather than the dogs - ie the poor dogs are not kept and cared for as pets but used in a horrid way.

The animal cruelty laws in this country are appallingly lenient I think. I'm really not convinced that they serve as much of a deterrent - not that any decent person would need a deterrent of course.

Poor dogs :mecry: