UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Poor Little Buggers

celeste

I decided that today I'd let the two new pullets Moomin and Flump out for the first time, so to make things easier for them I put three of the big hens in their pen and only had Caroline and Kelly out as they are the two lowest ones, poor Moomin and Flump got chased round and round the garden by Caroline, Kelly took the decision this was a spectator sport and just about twisted her head off trying to keep them in view :laugh: . After about an hour (they didn't get chased the whole time ) I got them back in their own pen, but now the poor little buggers won't come out of the coop ! So I think I'll let the wee ones out on their own in the afternoon for a week and let them find their way round the garden, then start letting the big un's out with them, I know they'll get their arses kicked at some point but they're about half the size of the big un's, and it seems a bit mean to let them get that stressed.

Any tips on mixing 16 week olds with adults would be very welcome :flowers:

It's not easylaugh.gif Ok, it's a lot easier if they've been hatched by one of your own broody hensrolleyes.gif Currently Whoopi keeps letting herself and her chicks out of her pen and into the main chicken run. Although all the other hens are free-ranging they do like to go back into the main run from time to time during the day (nesting boxes for laying etc.) but when Whoopi and her chicks are out she challenges any hen which dares to enterrolleyes.gif So I find an empty chicken run other than Whoopi and her chicks and then have to go on an egg finding mission which isn't easy in 3 acres

biglaugh.gif

I think your idea of letting the youngsters out on their own so that they can find the lie of the land, without being harrassed, is a good ideaflowers.gif Hopefully that will make them more confident generally and let them seek out hiding places from their big sisters later.

I think your idea of letting the youngsters out on their own so that they can find the lie of the land, without being harrassed, is a good ideaflowers.gif Hopefully that will make them more confident generally and let them seek out hiding places from their big sisters later.

Good, I was beginning to think I was being too soft :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm soft too?laugh.gif

Whoopi today let the chicks not only out of the run but decided to take them round the paddocks and yard to search for interesting food. She talked to them all the time and they kept close by her side (which was good because I thought the horses might gallop around the paddock and take them all out at any timerolleyes.gif Anyway, all worked out ok in the end. I've left them so that they can come and go as they please now because it seems stupid to confine them again.

Wish the rain would stop though cos it's making the chicken run disgustingmad.gif

Awwww, I'd love to let one of mine have babies, perhaps one day, our vet nurse has offered me the use of her Buff Sussex cockerel if I ever fancy doing it.

Let the little un's have access to the garden on their own yesterday afternoon, they didn't wander far from their coop,which was sensible I thought, hopefully they'll get used to the layout and where their coop is, I've put it right next to the big pen so that hopefully, when it comes time for them to move in with the biggies they'll at least be looking in the right direction :rolleyes:

I bit the bullet and took the plunge this afternoon and let them all out together :run4hills:

I have to report that...................................they're absolutly fine! :woof: Caroline, who's the bottom of the Bash Street Chooks has been the only one to bother them by chasing them a bit, even big Lola the cross dressing boss is acting as if there's nothing wrong and they've been there the whole time :smug-1:

I do think it helped them being let out for the few days to get their bearings, I'd certainly do it that way again.

edited to correct some peculiar spelling mistakes......tut tut

Edited by celeste