UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Kidney Disease

barb

Has anyone any experiance of this. Holly has beed diagnosed as in the very early stages of kidney disease. She is on a very strict diet and meds. She is as lively as ever and does not seem ill in any way except she is urine incontinant at night, she is fine during the day. When Holly sleeps she can sleep for England, always has. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Barbara

My first dog suffered from kidney failure and he recovered to live until 14 years old. But his was caused by dry food and not drinking enough - not disease.

There are several natural things can could be used to help and if you look up B-Naturals on the web you will find loads of info on kidney diets and treatments.

My Greyhound Merlin has just been diagnosed with the early stages of kidney failure so I know what you are going through. I have had a dog with this before and still have the recipies to home cook if you would like them. These came from a Yahoo group who dealt only with renal failure in dogs. I am going away tomorrow until 11th, if I don't get them to you before I go, that is if you want them, I will as soon as I get back.

The first vet I saw wanted Merlin putting onto the renal food but at £64 a sack, I can't, I live on a pension and it won't stretch to that. Last Friday Merlin saw the Consultant Adam, who doesn't want him on this yet, said the proteil level is too low, that can bring other problems, the food Merlin is on is 20% protein, the renal diet is 18.7% protein.

At the moment Merlin is just being monitored with regular wee and blood tests as well as scans in the hope that it doesn't deteriate quickly, if it does, then they will take further action.

• 3 weeks later...