UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Racing Pigeon

Pendlewitch

I picked up a worn out racing pigeon early Wednesday morning, a pretty little bird though shockingly thin and all fluffed up. It took no catching, poor bird could hardly stand up never mind fly off. Found the telepone number on it's wing and duly called the owner, ok he was obviously getting on a bit and said he was disbled but he said he had lost 30 out of his 36 birds from the race and could not afford the cost of retrieval for all the found ones. Pigeon had actually only made about 2 miles in 3 days!

My sister's partner is a pigeon buff and would not take it as he said he could end up with hundreds so it appears no-one puts a value on one litte bird. I can't just chuck it in the air when it is a bit fatter as it's far too young to attempt to get home, it's already failed once and sister's partner says there are so many half trained, unfit birds in the air and this is what happens, they end up knackerd on the floor. Pigeon in now ensconsed in a run in my shed, so what do I do with it now, owner is miles away and seems to want someone else to sort out his bird and I'm not prepared to drive from Lancaster to Maryport with it!

She's a little white bird with odd black bits and black tail feathers, she been named Lily for the moment! :)

we found a pigeon in our garden years ago, one of the neighbours took it in and got in touch with the owner, he said he would come and collect it he did.... 2 weeks later :rolleyes: glad you managed to find somewhere to take it :)

This is not an uncommon problem sadly. More info here - http://www.helpwildl...ingPigeons.html and you'll also find a list of wildlife rescues on the same site. Hopefully one will be able to take the bird in and rehabilitate it or offer sanctuary.

I feel bad now. :( There was racing pigeon outside my work a couple of months ago, which didn't fly away when I walked near it so I was a bit concerned. My supervisor told me there are lots about and they're just having a rest before continuing home. If I had read that link before I wouldn't have left it there. :(