UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Getting Access To A Post Mortem Report

griff

It has been bought to our families attention that there is a serious heart condition running through our genes, i have been to my doctor and i am going to see a cardiologist, my dad went last night to his gp (same practice as mine) and he was unhelpful, has said he will refer him but thinks the cardiologist will send him away with no tests (my gp said i will get all the tests possible) i have just had a copy of my grandads death certificate sent through as my aunty was adament it wasn't a thrombosis that killed him, the death certificate just states " coronary occlussion", i know this can be caused by thrombosis but i am keen to try and find as much info about what abnornmalities (if any) were noted during the post mortem, to be honest other than contacting the coroners office i don't know where to begin, i know a copy of the PM report gets sent to the deaceased gp but i don't think the doctors is there anymore and doubt very much as if they would hold onto records from 1979. does anyone have any idea where i would begin (i don't want to bother the coroners office unless i have to)and if i would actually be allowed to view/recieve a copy of a post mortem report. i want to gather as much history as i can to try and help me, my dad and the rest of our relatives, we have already lost 6 relatives and as there is no indicator of illness (you just drop dead)i want to ensure that everyone gets the necessary tests to avoid anymore unnecessary deaths.

unfortunately i don't, the place where my granadad died has the same postcode as my city so i went to our register office to get a duplicate certificate, however his address comes under a different county council :wacko: luckily i could order the duplicate on the phone. on the death certificate it has a coroners name and states "west midlands county" so i am hoping that it would be the place that is attached to our main police station, i guess it will either be a case of instructing a solicitor to look into things for me or try and contact the coroners office and see if they have any record of him( i nearly fainted when our register office had no record of him :laugh: )

Not sure how far back they are kept but the coroners office told me that they are not really relative friendly (ie they are written speaking purely scientifically not sympathetically to the bereaved) but if I really wanted to see Dad's then I just needed to write in (though it would take about 3 months) & request a copy.

thankyou all :flowers: i wll try and contact the office nearest to my house and maybe they can tell me if it would be them who i have to deal with or if the PM would have had to have been done under solihull, i have no emotional attachment to my grandad, i never met him and he was an awful man so i don't expect to be upset by anything i read about, i just want to get as much info together for the cardiologists and try to save anymore of my relatives dying.