UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Flying With A Bulging Eardrum......

Tempest

After having my original ear infection about six weeks ago my ear hasn't properly cleared up at all. I'm still partially deaf in that ear, have ringing in it all the time and popping and crackling and general 'pressure' :unsure:

I went back to the docs a fortnight ago and had more antibiotics as my eardrum was still 'bulging' but they've not helped so on going back again she seems to think that the fact that I've got hayfever now (the original infection came after a cold) is the reason why it's not clearing. My ear is full of fluid that can't drain away as the tube between my ear and nose is constantly blocked due to the hayfever.

I did mean to ask if flying with a bulging eardrum could be a problem but I completely forgot :wacko: We're thinking of doing something last minute in the first couple of weeks of the school hols but I'm not sure if I'll be able to fly. When I had the original infection I asked the doc if there was anything not to do and she did say 'don't fly' but that was weeks ago and I'm not sure if the same thing would apply now?

Just wondering if anyone here has been in a similar position?

Didn't have a problem before flying but during an unpressurised little airplane flight got popping and agony, which then turned into infection.... not sure if it is legally sold in this country but I was in Panama and the chemist there gave me some VERY powerful eardrops which did clear it up.... will try and find the box then interpret the ingredients.....

OK

Each 100ml contains 5.0g Antipirina (which according to the translation site is antipyrine) and 1.0g Benzocaina (benzocaine)

A contraindication is a rupture in the tympanic membrane!!! (sounds like burst eardrum???)

Anyway - it was like dynamite, took out all the pain and within a couple of days the bubbling and popping had stopped... hope you find something similar!

in the interests of not being sued cos you do something mentioned on here can I suggest you consult your GP or other qualified medical practitioner

I knew someone once btw who flew with a new filling and spent the 8 hours, or whatever it was, between manchester and orlando in absolute agony due to a tiny pocket of air trapped underneath the filling

Don't worry I wouldn't book a holiday unless I checked with the doctor first but wondered if anyone here had ever had anything similar :wink:

I've got a GP helpline number with my Norwich Union healthcare policy and just spoke to them and they seemed to think there wouldn't be any problem with flying at all :unsure:

I've got a GP helpline number with my Norwich Union healthcare policy and just spoke to them and they seemed to think there wouldn't be any problem with flying at all :unsure:

Hmmmmm.

My daughter used to get repeated ear infections and even when she wasn't in the middle of one could find flying agonising.

Going up and down steep hills could have a similar effect.

Pam

Ive was given Nazonex nose spray to unblock my ears and it works a treat :rolleyes: Prescription only so you will have to see your doctor.

I've got one called Beconase from the doc which is a steroid nasal spray - been on it 2 weeks so far and no change yet :unsure:

I once flew back from egypt with a sore ear. just felt a bit achey and as if i still had pool water in there. 2 mins into take off and bloody hell the pain. I heard a crack in my ear that sounded like someone had shot me at close range and rocked in bloody agony. If in doubt, get someone qualifies to have a good look and poke down your ear and be sure coz the pain really isnt good :unsure:

I've got one called Beconase from the doc which is a steroid nasal spray - been on it 2 weeks so far and no change yet :unsure:

Yup I tried that one for 2 months and didnt touch it - the Nazonex worked within a few days no harm in trying :flowers: