UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Aol + Free 'phone Calls

Mrs B

We have AOL broadband - which we'e paid £9.99 for for what seems like forever (at least four years?)

Anyway, OH had a call from them last night - normally I would have told 'em "no interest" but as it was about doing something about my landline 'phone calls which I've been intending to do for ages, I did actually let them talk me through it (and the guy was from Ireland, rather than their Indian Call Centre which I'm afraid also swayed me!)

Anyway, basically the deal appears to be, continue to pay BT for the line rental (which as we're on full whack on that anyway 'cause it's on my list of things to reduce cost of but hasn't got to the top yet!) and get free 01, 02 and 03 calls - for as long as we continue to use AOL. Calls to mobiles, 1/2p less than BT (but we don't make that many), and a 28 day rolling contract. Free to us 'cause we've been with AOL so long, and they want to use it as a means of keeping us.

I thought of as many questions as I could, but in essence I am still looking for the snag in moving from BT to AOL and getting the cost of my calls for nothing.

Anyone have any comments/experience/better ideas?

Must admit I do find trying to find the best deal on 'phones an absolute nightmare.

We have switched to this...we were with Tesco's.

So far it has been snag free...and has halved our phone bill. The mobile calls are the thing to watch as they bump the bill back up but if you don't phone that many you will be ok.

Its great having free landline calls...you can go wild :laughingsmiley:

We're using this. It's been fine apart from when we had a problem caller and it was rather difficult to contact aol and then get them to understand what we were talking about as those calls do go to the Indian call center.

I used AOL + talk for a while & had no problems with the phone service itself. Only when I wanted to cancel did I find them more of a nuiscence / poorer on service.

If an all in deal is the route you want to go down they are now offering a line rental inclusive price if you have a look at the AOL website - it is slightly cheaper than BT but that said you can also now get an all in calls price from BT (and others) too if you take a look at there site.

Personally I'd like to deal with companies who support the British workforce that they want to take their profits from & hence don't employ indian call centres - it really galls me that some of the banks not only want the profits but also ask the Goverment / tax payer to bail them out of a situation they created yet still take the jobs of people here in England to cheaper overseas sources :glare:

Anyway, perhaps it's worth having a look at some of the comparisons sites for what deals are out there?

Edited by Ian