UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Insurance

Claire P

Hi guys,

At present I have Cooper (almost 5 years) insured with Pinnacle as when I searched comparison and advice sites last year it came out as one of the few policies that covered any conditions should they occur for the life of the dog. (as this is often what people get stung by without realising)

Anyway as was fishing around again as it is coming up for renewal and has gone up unannounced, but I put in for a quote for a dog over 8years to see how much difference there was in monthly cost for those classed as old and not, but it said they did not insure dogs past their 8th birthday! So how can they say they cover a condition for the life of the animal if they don't insure past 8years. As we here know very well indeed dogs go on to live far past 8!

So was just looking for suggestions on companies that insure fully not have cut offs for conditions (not that he has any but you never know what the future will hold) and will insure older dogs without too many questions.

Cheers guys I know you will be the best people to ask

Do they mean they don't insure dogs with existing policies once they turn eight, or that they don't offer new policies when a dog is 8+?

Just wonder as I know Petplan won't take on dogs over a certain age (think it's around 9) on a new policy but they do continue existing policies for the dog's life, provided they were started under that age.

I use Petplan and I have one with M&S though I'm not sure I'd take out another with M&S as they seem to have had a few changes in recent years that weren't for the best.

I think you will find that they won't insure a dog that is over 8 for the first time, but will continue to insure a dog past that age if you already have insurance with them. Most insurance companies are like that. I am with PetPlan - insured for life - possibly not the cheapest but they have paid out thousands over the years for my dogs without ever quibbling anything.

Maybe they do mean they won't take on a new dog over 8 then. But it doesn't help people taking on one of our dogs.

I looked at Pet Plan and their excess is £75 + 20% of the cost which seems very steep to me as if it was a big bill I would still struggle to pay for it which is the whole point in taking out insurance to safe guard against very big bills.

Mal and Kiera are with Axa, and I'm very happy with them. They paid out about £4500 without questioning it for Mal's treatment last year. Sure enough the premium went up when it was due, but it's still nothing compared to what they've saved me! Plus I always found the people on the phone very friendly and professional to deal with :)

Sparks is still wth Petplan, but only because he came with that. Fortunately I've not had to deal with them yet (fortunately as in: Sparks hasn't had anything yet that warranted vet treatment :)).

Mine are both with Axa, though I have not had to claim from Axa for either of them yet. Az was with Tesco before that, which did pay up promptly when he injured his leg and needed out of hours stitches, but Tesco quoted £450 to renew Az's policy last year (he is now 10, though so far, fingers crossed, utterly healthy) and Axa quoted £180 (I did tell them about the leg injury, but I think it was actually his age that Tesco were charging me for), so I moved him.

Holly is with Tesco and I have had no problems with them. When she reached ten they suggested I Pay a ittle extra a month or the rest of her life. I am now claiming for the treatment she is getting and they paid for her hyrotheropy without question. They have always settled up quickly, she is now reaching 13.

Barbara

Yes well phoned AXA at lunchtime to get them to confirm they wouldn't stop paying for a condition and the £7000 max would be renewed each year and so I think I shall be changing to them. They are cheaper too.

No-one twigged why I was looking at older dog policies then....

Thanks for your help everyone. Oh and pinnacle would keep Cooper on after 8 as he is already with them but AXA look just as good and cheaper and offer discount for 2 dogs. Also ASDA looked prett good but goes up for older dogs

Edited by Claire P