UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Plt Has Anyone Used It ?

mmp

I took my old arthritic boy to the vet today to get some more tablets for him and as the Previcox tablets weren't working anymore I have been given PLT and he has been started on Cartrophen injections (his legs have got weaker and his back legs are starting to weaken aswell). I was just wondering if anyone had used either of these treatments and how they got on with them ??

My friend's rottie who is 9 has been having Cartrophen injections for quite a while and they work really well on him. Also - they started hydrotherapy with him as he'd lost so much muscle and the results are amazing - he's much more comfortable.

Hi - Barty gets plt (prednoleucotropin) for his bulging disc when it goes out. It is very effective and has been around for about 30 years (??) I think. It does contain steroid (prednisolone) but in very small amounts (1 mg) and a pain killer. If used long you will ultimately get the same side effects as with any long term use of steroids but for short term use it is extremely effective.

Barty has also has catrophen injections for his spondylosis but acupuncture was much more effective for him

My 14 yr. old lab. had the best results with Metacam but within 4 months was suffering bad stomach upsets; tried plt along with antacids to combat side effects with no success, mobility improved but stomach upsets again; now on Synoquin which I get from Vet uk and so far so good. Not as effective obviously as the steroidal preps. but he's able to walk without limping, get in and out of his basket and get up and lie down with no discomfort - speedily if food is on offer!

Thank you for your replys. Midge has been on meds since he was about 3 for arthritus (mainly only during the winter for a good number of years) and we started with metacam and used that for a good 6 or 7 years but as his arthritus has got worse it stopped working so we moved onto Previcox ... now that has stopped working so we get to try something new again tee hee I don't know if it is my imagination (prob is) but he seems not so stiff this morning after his cartrophen injection yesterday ... still stiff but not as stiff.

Charley was on PLT for almost a year and suffered horrendous side effects including Cushingoid symptoms.

She has arthritis which is crippling. We tried Cartrophen which had no effect, Metacam which was effective for a few days, Rimadyl which did nothing, Glucosamine injections which were helpful for a very few days each month and now she's on Zubrin.

Zubrin isn't helping either now though it did initially and its being combined with Paracetomol/Codeine. She also has Synflex.

I don't know how old your dog is but with mine we decided that the side effects were worth the risk [she's about 14] if the drugs were easing her pain. Had she been younger we would NOT have used PLT. Have a look on the DEFRA website about it, not a nice drug at all and shouldn't be used long term.

Lily took PLTs for several years. Most of the other painkillers had done nothing for her and rimadyl made her very depressed. She couldn't carry on without pain relief so the potential side effects of the PLT were worth chancing. In the end they did give her gut problems so she has taken codeine for the last two years.

Cartophen didn't do anything for Lily but our vet reported good results in other patients.

I don't know how old your dog is but with mine we decided that the side effects were worth the risk [she's about 14] if the drugs were easing her pain.

This is my thinking ... he is 14 years old and was diagnosed with arthritus at 3 years old so I am very glad to have him still with me as I though he would of had to be helped over the bridge at a much younger age because of his legs. As it is I am glad to say that although he is a doddery old man and he can only make a 10 - 15 min walk before he has to lie down he is very content and can get around the house just fine (with the exception of stairs). I will be keeping a close eye on him for any side effects but I feel it is worth trying as we have used other medicines over the years that have in time stopped being effective. Midge being pain free in his twilight years is all that is important. Thank you again for the answers, they are a great help :)