UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dire Rear Question

Kimbas_mum

Both yesterday and today one of my dogs has had really bad dire rear in the morning when they are left (for 3 hours). None of them seem to be under the weather and all their poos seem normal when I take them out the rest of the day. Normally I would just starve the one with the dodgy tummy then re-introduce easy food etc. The problem is, I have no idea which one of the 4 it is that is poorly. I can't seperate them to find out which one it is cos 2 of them have seperation problems and get really stressed if the pack is split up.

So the question is, would you starve all 4 of them in the morning (mine only have 1 meal a day? or just leave them to it and hope that whoever it is will get it out of their system anyway, this was the option I was going for yesterday but having happened again today I am a bit more concerned (not bothered about the pooing itself - the wonders of tiled floors and really good air fans!!! just worried in case one of them has something nasty going on inside)

Thanks for your ideas (or miracle cures!!!)

Thanks for the response, I have ended up not feeding any of them this morning, not very popular!!! The strange thing is that they all seem to be poo-ing normally the rest of the time :wacko:

Oh well, I'm at the vets with 2 of them tomorrow so if no better I might just take them all in for a check up.

Over the last few weeks, both my boys had taken it in turn to have runny bum's so I starved them both for 24 hours and then they had a couple of days of rice & fish. I think there's lots of different bugs going around and the other day Sir H was loose in the evening but fine the next morning :wacko:

I never starve mine if they have runny bums, I just give them a spoonful of bio yoghurt on the next meal or so. It seems to sort them out just as quickly, and with a lot less complaining than withholding food does (it's a major problem for me if my dogs are hungry during the day because I work from home and I really cannot have Mollydog screaming about the lack of breakfast in the background when I'm talking to clients or Az scraping his paw down my leg when I am trying to solve a tricky work problem.)

On the only two occasions that it hasn't cleared up almost immediately, I add a scrambled egg as well. Scrambled egg bungs them up like nobody's business.

Thinking on, I understand that the idea of starving is that it allows any bacterial infection in the gut to clear out. If you have 4 dogs and only one of them has got upset tum, then I would have thought that makes it quite unlikely that the problem is a bacterial infection or they'd all have it, so starving is probably not going to help there anyway.

Edited by cycas