UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Harness Recommendations Please

merledogs

Hi

A Hurtta harness has been trialed at Wiccaweys - they are different in that there are no straps under the armpits. I think this is the one that Sarah was using.

http://www.camddwrcanine.co.uk/xcart/produ...at=0&page=1

:flowers:

Hayley - with a serious puller wouldn't this pull against the windpipe of the dog?

I personally couldn't find a better one than the fleece lined ones from Dog Games. I think their's are better made than some other cheaper fleece lined ones which I have seen being sold at behaviour conferences etc. I'll stick to Dog Games. :)

Hayley - with a serious puller wouldn't this pull against the windpipe of the dog?

I personally couldn't find a better one than the fleece lined ones from Dog Games. I think their's are better made than some other cheaper fleece lined ones which I have seen being sold at behaviour conferences etc. I'll stick to Dog Games. :)

The front strap on those harnesses is supposed to sit at the breast bone, but you do have to be careful fitting them properly. I use one for my GSD when tracking as it fits differently from his other harness so he knows he can pull into that one and not on his usual harness. He doesn't have any trouble but the harness has different fittings to ensure a proper fit.

i also really like the fleece lined harnesses from dog games, and haven't had any trouble with the ring on the back with any of mine. The ring on the back of all the ones I have is stitched in place though so doesn't move around, maybe they changed the design?

Hi

I don't know as I didn't actually walk the dog that was wearing the harness. I just know that the other dog walkers thought he seemed better on the Hurtta harness :flowers:

I do like the dog-games ones, I just don't want to have to replace Taffy's every year :rolleyes: All my dogs have them, it must just be a faulty one that Taffy had where the ring has moved and worn through the webbing. The fleece is also ripped in a few places. I have seen alternatives but agree the quality doesn't seen to be as good so I will order another one from dog-games.

Thanks for all your input :flowers:

Edited by merledogs

Taffy's new fleece lined harness arrived today and it does seem sturdier than the previous one. There is an extra bit of webbing sewn over where the D-ring is so it's double thickness.

I did think yesterday that I could just get some webbing and sew an extra bit over where the the webbing has worn and I will certainly do that with the other dogs' harnesses as they are all wearing a little bit on the edges of the webbing where the D-ring sits.

I will take pics of Taffy in his new camouflage harness when I get in :wub:

I don't think this is any good for what you want Alex as it has a piece of material going part way down the back, but mine wear the Mekuti harnesses and I think they're great, just in case anyone else is looking for a good harness.

I took this photo earlier (for the thread!)

Minnie-Moo034ii-4.jpg

There's one bit of material running between the front legs, which has attachments either side, coming up behind the front legs to be connected to the pieces coming down from the back.

M-MMaxinNarnia125ii.jpg

It doesn't have any fleece padding but the harnesses have never given the dogs any sore bits and they keep them on while running around. If Sno's freaked out by something (like fireworks) I put his on at home too as if he gets himself into a silly place, I can haul him out by that rather than by the neck.

http://www.mekuti.co.uk/harness_shop.htm :flowers:

They are introducing a new one in a different material soon (in black and black with a reflective bit I think), but I've got no complaints about the current one :) I use them with the Mekuti double ended lead (which you can make into a loop at one end and use as a longer lead too if you want).

http://www.mekuti.co.uk/harness_shop.htm :flowers:

They are introducing a new one in a different material soon (in black and black with a reflective bit I think), but I've got no complaints about the current one :) I use them with the Mekuti double ended lead (which you can make into a loop at one end and use as a longer lead too if you want).

cheers, will have a nosey at that new one :biggrin: ! I have already got double ended leads, Danish webbing ones which imho are much nicer than any I have seen over here, but of course Mekuti ones might be different to the rest.

edit, have had a quick look, and the leads look nice and soft :biggrin:

Edited by DanishPastry