UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Drowns After Falling Through Ice

Spins4me

I took my two to Fairlands Valley Lakes this morning and met a woman who told me that yesterday her friend's terrier had fallen through the ice on the Millenium Lake and drowned. The fire brigade had tried to rescue the dog and two men had also tried but failed. I think one of the men who tried to save the dog was its owner. The woman who told me about it said that all her friend can see in her mind is the dog struggling to get out of the water, it was heartbreaking. Apparently the dog was a rescue who loved his new family and new life.

Poor dog and his owner :mecry:

This is a timely reminder to us all to keep our beloved pets away from the ice even if it does mean restricting some of their walk by putting them on a lead. I could never forgive myself if this happened to one of mine.

I agree. I didn't even take mine down to the edge of the lake today and kept both of them on the lead as we passed by the path to the lake. Flo loves to make the ducks run into the water - her gun dog genes take over when she sees a duck - and I was afraid she'd run out on the ice. There were lots of people down there with dogs walking along the edge of the lake.

I agree we had to be careful on Sunday when the lake where we go was frozen and went further away from the water as both Murphy and his pal love the water and just want to swim

It must have been so heartbreaking to watch that happen poor poor dog

Please also remember that even if the water isn't frozen dogs have been known to die of shock when entering very cold water, it happened a couple of times last winter on Wimbledon Common and I know of one lurcher who died instantly on going into a cold lake near Epsom racecourse, these tend to happen when dogs jump into water as opposed to wade into it. I try and keep mine away from water in the winter months.

Poor little dog, the owner must be heartbroken!

The river near me has thin ice over a lot of the surface and is freezing cold in high summer so what the temp was today is anyones guess but one person was happily throwing a ball in for her dog, I was amazed at how silly she was!

I agree we had to be careful on Sunday when the lake where we go was frozen and went further away from the water as both Murphy and his pal love the water and just want to swim

It must have been so heartbreaking to watch that happen poor poor dog

heartbreaking yes, but also elements of this story also happen to make my blood boil too

I make no apologies for the fact that I consider letting dogs wander over ice is stupid and the act

of a complete moron to boot.

my dogs mean everything to me, and their safety is my number one priority, i dont

answer the front door without closing them in first, and we always walk on lead wherever there

is potential for danger

RIP little doggie :mecry: