UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

2nd Dog?

one.eyed.dog

I really do not know what to do.

I have a German Wirehaired Pointer who is a handful but, lovely. I have/am having a few problems but, nothing serious and nothing I can't cope with. Those of you on here who know me and have met the Muppet will know what I mean.

Anyway.

I have been looking on the GWP rescue site and there are 2 dogs that I am rather taken with.

1st is Edward. 7 years old. Ideal except Lottie will still only be 9 when Edward is 13 so I will have a boingy dog and an old man. (My 1st choice)

2nd is Scout a 2 year old bitch.

Both are 4/5 hours drive away.

Here in lies the problem. Lottie can be aggressive towards strange dogs. There is no set pattern. One day she will have a go at a dog the next she plays with everything she meets. She is not a nasty dog. I think it is lack of confidence. With dogs she knows she is great.

How the hell do I find out if my Lottie will except another dog? I must admit that just 1 dog is easy. I do basically take her everywhere with me bar work and she is being trained up to work which she loves. I can throw 1 dog in the car and go to friends houses, pubs etc.

I don't know what to do. My head is saying sort Lottie out 100% before getting another as I am potentially courting double trouble but, in my heart I am wondering if Lotts would benifit for a pal.

Any advise will be welcome even if you tell me off. Ellie x

I wouldn't tell anyone not to get a second dog if they can manage/afford it etc. I have one who isn't always great with other dogs due to other dogs being a pain in the bum in the past, but he manages to live very happily with other dogs, so that hasn't deterred me. One of mine is nervous too, though he's improved hugely.

I think I'd be inclined to look at getting a male in your position - I like to have a balance anyway - especially if you are looking at dogs of similar age.

Lottie goes to your friend's house with his dog doesn't she? And I've seen photos of her out on walks with other dogs so I'm sure with the right dog she'd be fine? I've always introduced Max to new dogs in the house or garden rather than on neutral territory (which is what is usually recommended) as I thought this would be preferable for him and it's been fine, but I know that might not be possible if you have to take Lottie to meet a potential brother/sister in rescue/foster.

Don't rush into getting a dog just because he/she is available though, if you decide you do want a second, then start looking/asking, but wait for the right dog :flowers: Edward might be that one of course. There is around nine years difference between Minnie-Moo and my older dogs but they all get along fabulously. I know the older ones will slow down more at some point, but we'll just adjust to suit them all.

It's a really difficult decision so you're definately right to think it through :rolleyes: I think that Lottie would be okay with the right dog and introductions and like Ange said dogs that aren't always great with others can live happily with other dogs and it might be nice for her to have a playmate in that sense.

I thought I'd answer more specifically about Edward as I've got 2 with a large age gap. Ollie is now about 12 and Jess will be 3 on 2nd Jan. If I'm totally honest I do find managing the age gap hard in the sense that now we're at the point where Olls can't do the walks Jess can so they're generally being walked seperately and so that takes a lot more time than if I could take them out together.

But my two do get on so so well and I think that is perhaps due to the age gap and the differences between them. Ollie is the boss man and Jess knows not to give him any rubbish and I think she does listen to him when she's getting all boingy and out of control :laugh: I like to think at times that he has a calming influence on her too and she'll often look to him if she's not sure how to react in a situation (as he's a pretty calm lad and not much phases him).

I do think though that generally in the future I'd probably try not to have such a huge age gap between dogs (I think there must be 9 years between my two) and I think if in the future I was having 2 dogs again I'd look at having maybe 2 or 3 years between them instead.

The other thing that I've found aswell is that its definately easier to take just 1 dog somewhere than the pair of them and people that I'd visited in the past with Ollie weren't so keen when I've wanted to take 2 dogs with me (obviously that depends on your friends/family of course) but I definately have to plan things more than when I just used to chuck Ollie in the car and take him with me on his ownsome. Its not a huge issue for us but its something to bear in mind for sure.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Tempest

I look on the GWP rescue site about once a fortnight. Edward is really the only one who I keep going back to.

If I introduced him to Lottie at my house she would go mental. Strangers (human) are attacked no questions asked. Once introduced she is fine.

The advert says he is aloof with other dogs so I'm not sure how that would work.

My pal has Lottie while I am at work and she gets on with his dog famously.

I am used to walking for long periods. Hours on end. Even on weekdays I am up at 6am and in the forest in the pitch dark for a couple of hours every morning as Lottie needs the exercise. Edward is still full of energy but, I do wonder how an old dog would cope when my younger dog still needs to walk for miles.

I know I have 3 but they are fairly wide apart in ages; 3, 9 and 14. Bertie, the bouncy youngster is definitely bottom of the pack and Indy, the oldest is very subtle with his body language but Bertie reads it well and does as he is told and is respectful to Indy. Rio will play with Bertie on occasions but again he doesn't often push it, if he does, he is in no doubt that he has!

Indy does not tolerate dogs he doesn't know especially if they are strange dogs that approach him on walks although when introduced nicely after making the other dog realise he is the boss he is very good. We went to Pembrokeshire with a friend and her 3 hounds, Indy knew two of them but not the third except for meeting him out on a walk once before, they were all fine together. The witch bitch (Rio) however gave Brodie a bit of grief inside the house but was fine outside with him, Brodie was very submissive to her and after a couple of days everything calmed down.

Rio gives Bertie masses of confidence, too much in fact, so that for the most part they are walked separately, makes for a more enjoyable walk having Bertie slightly more careful on his own. While we're out in France if the dogs are not out with us, then Rio and Bertie never go out together, it just makes for lots of mischief and harassing next door's chickens and ducks, alone they don't bother.

I think that's covered age, confidence and not liking other dogs.

I also found it a lot more difficult going from 2 to 3 dogs than from 1 to 2.

I'm sure you find the right dog for both you and Lottie.

I am used to walking for long periods. Hours on end. Even on weekdays I am up at 6am and in the forest in the pitch dark for a couple of hours every morning as Lottie needs the exercise. Edward is still full of energy but, I do wonder how an old dog would cope when my younger dog still needs to walk for miles.

If/when he gets too old to cope with Lottie's walks, would you be willing/able to take him on a separate walk? Or take them on a walk together and give Lottie an extra walk maybe? It really depends on whether you can deal with that or whether you would rather have a dog that is closer to Lottie in age and can always be walked with her.

If you are serious about having another dog, I'd suggest you contact rescues and say you are looking to adopt, so that they can get homechecks etc. done and have you on their records, as I know not all rescues will always put each dog up on their site, if they have a suitable home waiting.

Thank you both. I think what I need to do is find out if Edward is a dominent dog. If so I think Lottie will learn from him and get confidence from him. I think she would benefit from that.

Looks like I may be making a phone call in the near future.

Thanks again.

Ellie

The wee wazzock herself with pals

IMG_3009.jpg

I think I am going to call the rescue co-ordinator and get some more info on Edward.

If he is a laid back, confident dog I think Lottie will be ok.

Most people seem to want the younger dogs to train up to work shoots. I know Edward has just been a pet as they state they want him to live in a house not a working kennel. They also say they want GWP experienced home.

I have to put Lottie 1st though.

If it was me I would be mixing with folk who have GWP's. Get involved with the GWP walks etc and see how she gets on with others of her breed. Maybe when you get pally with someone have one stay over. I would be inclined if it works out to get a male as well. This is an energetic breed that doesn't slow up that quickly. Obviously depends on the dog so having them a couple of years apart really isn't a problem. Issie was 14 when we lost her but she would still walk as long as I wanted her to. So as long as both stay healthy there is no reason why they can't both go on long walks still.

I am a member of the North West GSP club and she is fine with all the dogs at training.

Especially fine with this stunning young man. Lottie on the right. Freddie left

DSC00033.jpg

There is never a problem if we meet up for a group walk. I walk with Billiemalc on here lots and have never had any problems with any of her dogs. She has just taken on Sparkey who has a few issues and lets just say it's a good job they have both been done. LOL Totally besotted with each other.

I'm just going on your mention of her being aggressive with some strange dogs. If she meets lots of her own kind already and is fine she should be ok. She will have to meet any potential new dog anyway. She will have to learn to share things in the home but if she has no food/toy possession problems then....... After all you've posted pics of other dogs in your home.

This is what I do not understand. Check this out

No problems what so ever. There was Mr Malcolm up stairs in her bed helping himself to her chews no problem when this was taken.

PC090235.jpg

Never met any of this lot before either

IMG_1894.jpg

Or this lot

P9180212.jpg

This is why I do not understand where the aggression is coming from. We can be walking through the forest and another dog walks past ignoring her and she has a go at it. Another dog will be play bowed to and played with. :wacko:

Scooby is allowed to sleep on my bed no issues. She's a tit. LOL

Nothing really helpful to add just wanted to wish you luck :flowers:

I've been debating if I should get a third dog and a suitable 6 yr male Rottie is in my friends rescue at the mo, but I've decided to sort out Daisy first, although she would get on well with a male Rottie my problem would be managing all three out on a walk when Daisy goes for another dog, controlling two is difficult enough, chucking in a third would just add to the problem, even though he is great with other dogs, in my experience, bad habits not good ones rub off on other dogs :rolleyes: