UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Paper Training

Well the puppies are five weeks old now, they want to explore everywhere, but I can't run after them mopping up all the time they are awake. So currently, when I can't supervise, they are confined to the kitchen, and annoyed about it!! :wacko: :)

So, the question is, can I paper train them at this age? They come to us to be picked up, and love cuddles and playtime, but I have seen no evidence of them responding to praise. I can obviously treat them when they perform where I want, but I just wonder whether I am being impatient. No point in setting myself up for failure if its too early.

They get up and out of their bed/den to pee and poo, and have been doing since they arrived at four weeks.

Who has had puppies?

image002.jpg

I would take them outside every half to 3/4 hour instead of paper training them, that often leads to problems later when the owner wants them to go outside, they have been taught to go inside and many dogs don't adapt.

If possible I would have a small area outside for them to go, saves having to race round everywhere to get them when they decide to run off. :laugh:

I've had puppies, 8 Staffie pups...........little blighters :wub:

I didn't even attempt paper training, I just went straight for outside weeing, which with 8 of them was a full time job, and it was in the winter so doubly difficult, you just have to be on your toes the whole time, if they were awake they went out every 1/2 hr, and got a treat when they did the toilet, this was from 5 weeks old and by the time they went to their new homes they were 80% housetrained, they got so used to getting a treat when they went they would all shuffle their little bums round to face you whilst still doing the toilet so they could get a treat :laugh: of course there were accidents.........quite a lot at first, and it was hell on rainy days, but by the 7th week they were getting the hang of it and a few were completly housetrained by 10 wks. I found all mine to be very responsive to treats and praise from quite early on, they were all keen to get the treat before another puppy (or mum) pinched it.

Are you serious? Its winter and the little blighters get up at 5.30!!!

Sighs.... I was afraid someone might say this. I'll have to fence off part of the garden because we have a stream....

Ah yes, the stream, we have one too and did have a couple of accidents, one puppy fell off the bridge into the stream and very nearly got swept away, I jumped in and caught him before he disappeared through the hole in the wall.................so fencing off the stream is a good idea.

The most difficult time was first thing in the morning, and that was the time they were most likely to toilet indoors, in fact right up untill there was only 3 left there would always be someone who didn't make it, I don't know what other commitments you have, I didn't have any except looking after the puppies, so was literally their slave, so although I'd say try to get them used to toileting outside, I'd also say, do what works for you, it's hard work but enormous fun too :flowers:

If you have the time I would also suggest taking them out in the car every day or every 2nd day, I took the whole lot plus mum out for a 10 min journey, which made sure they were all okey going to their new homes in a car and all of them turned out to be brilliant travelers, if you can minimize any potential stress when they go then so much the better, so at least when they go they will be used to the noise and movement of a car.

Another tip is to get a whole load of cheap large-ish soft toys from your local charity shop, one for each pup, I put these in with the pups so they got good and smelly then when the puppy went they took a toy with them, all of the new owners said the pups took real comfort from the toy and could snuggle up to or sleep on top of the toy and they all settled at night, one still has his toy to this day.......7 years on, it's the only toy he's never destroyed :biggrin:

Right, well it wasn't the stream that decided me at 5.00 this morning! It was all those steps, and we don't have an outside light and the little darlings are all black....

I am also a bit concerned about the number of worm eggs that Molly dropped, but tbh we've cleared as much as we could, and its just the sheer practicality of it all.

So I am learning how quick one has to be with the treats - and testing various ones. I think I feed them too much, because they aren't all that bothered about them, LOL!