UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Psychology Degree

murtle

What about this - it's an MA in Communication (Corporate, or Professional, I think) and one of the options is distance learning. Based at Sheffield Hallam - just happens that my OH, who suggested it, helped set up the courses a few years ago. :rolleyes: He has moved, though, so no personal benefit to him now. :laugh:

http://www.shu.ac.uk/media/mapipc/distance.html

Educational Psychology is difficult to get into, certainly in Scotland. That's my son's area - he had a 2.1 Psych degree, plus a post-grad teaching cert, plus several years' teaching, before he was accepted on to the Masters degree course. May be different in England, though, but if you're hoping to combine a post-grad with work, that probably rules it out in any case.

Congratulations on the degree!

First of all Congratulations! I used to be be an associate tutor for DSE212 and I loved working for the OU.

Pretty much all post grad Psychology courses are highly competitive, simply because there are so many Psychology graduates. Self funded courses are easier to get onto than funded, and generally anything with a clinical slant to it will be massively oversubscribed, partly because that's where the money is.

I did my BA in Psychology and Criminology (2:i) and then did Research Methods MSc at UCL, as I couldn't get on a PhD with joint honours and a 2:i. There were several people on the course with 2:2's, as a good MSC can be used to 'pull' your bachelor's mark up a level. At least 2 of those went on to do clinical, most of us went on to PhDs though. Experience counts for as much as qualifications though, so getting a psych assistant type job in any relevant field will help.