UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Have Met Some Pit Bulls In My City

work dog

:GroupHug: hello I have met at least 3 pit bulls, and many pity crosses.

two of the pit bulls, i have seen, were in my city

Despite there so called "vicouness" they were all very plesent dogs, and owned by plesent people

but should I warn them about the dda, if so what the best way to do it

Hi and welcome to The Refuge :flowers:

How do you know the dogs you met were pit bulls? some dogs look very similar but are in fact legal breeds.

The Bullbreed Advisory Service website has some easy to understand information on the DDA and the Deed Not Breed website has some useful information for owners.

www.deednotbreed.org.uk

www.bullbreedadvisoryservice.com

If you'd like some leaflets posting, pm your address and I'll send you some out :flowers:

I met a 'person' last weekend in a local Pets at home store, broadcasting how his'pitbull' had that morning eaten cash, cd's, carpet amongst other things. He was next to me in a queue so I waited whilst we got outside. I said to him that I wasn't a local loony (despite what some of you think) but was slightly concerned been involved in rescue that he maybe needed to be a little careful over what type of dog he was broadcasting he had. He then said -oh I know it's down as a staffy cross at the vets.

I asked a few more questions & found out that he'd had it from 3 weeks & it was already displaying dominant behaviour towards him at 20weeks old. ie growling & biting.

I tried to give him some better advice ie how to use a crate, treats & reward methods together with training before things get out of hand.

I have my concerns in this case-knowing more than I can type.

I met a 'person' last weekend in a local Pets at home store, broadcasting how his'pitbull' had that morning eaten cash, cd's, carpet amongst other things. He was next to me in a queue so I waited whilst we got outside. I said to him that I wasn't a local loony (despite what some of you think) but was slightly concerned been involved in rescue that he maybe needed to be a little careful over what type of dog he was broadcasting he had. He then said -oh I know it's down as a staffy cross at the vets.

I asked a few more questions & found out that he'd had it from 3 weeks & it was already displaying dominant behaviour towards him at 20weeks old. ie growling & biting.

I tried to give him some better advice ie how to use a crate, treats & reward methods together with training before things get out of hand.

I have my concerns in this case-knowing more than I can type.

3 WEEKS :bigeyed: and hees wondering why it has behavioural problems.

well they do look alot like pits ( it diddnt look like an ambulldog, amstaff, presa, dogo, staff, irishstaff, ambully, or any of te similar breeds), and the owners claimed it was a pit.

It would appear that the people who had the mother had 'issues' the mother of the pups didnt want to know??? also he was putting the pup in the crate when it misbehaved so it kept growling at him. Tried to advise him on giving pup treat or chew in crate so it associated it with nice things not beeen naughty. Also that by taking it away from it's litters mates that it had missed out on learning a lot of manners.

Told him to invest in a kong & some structured exercise so it stopped trashing the house.

Edited to remove 'other' info Kazz :wink:

Edited by tracyb

Well,

Sorry but there are a few "plonkers" out there that want to look big, tough and hard.

It is just a shame the poor dogs suffer. :(

Tracey, PM Melp or Fireside Mel rather than posting the area etc.. :flowers:

I am sure they can advise without posting any more on a public forum. Not being horrible, just thinking rationally here.

Kazz x