UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Assisted Suicide Illegal

doggy.lover

girl refuses heart

After reading the above news article I have to admit I am steaming mad.. How the hell can a 12 yr old CHILD be allowed to refuse an op that could cure her and give her a full and active life yet a GROWN WOMAN cannot decide when she wants to allow herself to die with dignity and her family around her from a medical condition that cannot be be cured.

How can that be morally and legally right ?

I just read that too. I suppose for the girl, it's the likelihood that she wouldn't lead a full and active life that puts her off, she's had leukaemia since she was small so is probably very aware of what would be in store for her and perhaps has just had enough. I guess in law, there's a difference between refusing treament and actively taking a drug or whatever to end one's life. Not sure about moral rights though!

Unless you have lived this girl's life, or that of her parents, who have cared for her day in day out, then I don't think anyone has the right to judge.

This poor child has been in and out of hospitals for many years and for all that time she has apparently not had what most would term a "good quality of life". I don't see it mentioned anywhere that the heart transplant would give her a full and active life, in fact it is highly dangerous. See her interview here.

She sounds like a very sensible, intelligent child and I am sure her parents would not have come to what must be a heart breaking decision to support her wishes without plenty of thought and emotion having gone into it. The last thing they need is people who know nothing of what they are feeling judging them.

Edited by merledogs

Just to add that I agree re the assisted suicide woman - I believe very strongly that we have the right to choose where and how we die and I find it awful that a loved one could be prosecuted for helping someone achieve peace :(

I agree Alex.I commented about the young rugby player who went to Switzerland on the other thread about Right to Die because I felt so cross about it all.

However I don't think these two cases can be judged against each other either morally or legally.I think the young girl has made a very difficult but very wise decision.If she is basing her choices on informed and considered decison making then she is perfectly able to do so both morally and legally.

I agree with what you've said in both posts Alex - and also with Jules.

However I don't think these two cases can be judged against each other either morally or legally.I think the young girl has made a very difficult but very wise decision.If she is basing her choices on informed and considered decison making then she is perfectly able to do so both morally and legally.

Having watched Bill suffer for over 10 years, I can understand this girl and her parents and my heart goes out to them. This isn't an easy decision to make because we are programmed to survive, people have to be desperate to make this type of decision.

Bill gave up, he had taken more than most people are asked to take but he kept fighting back until he go so tired he couldn't fight back any more, he also had to watch me struggled to take care of him and watch my health deteriate, so he just let go. :mecry:

Letting things run their course, is different to helping someone kill themselves although I have sympathy for these people as well after watching my mother die of gangrene thanks to her GPs negligence.

Unless you have lived this girl's life, or that of her parents, who have cared for her day in day out, then I don't think anyone has the right to judge.

This poor child has been in and out of hospitals for many years and for all that time she has apparently not had what most would term a "good quality of life". I don't see it mentioned anywhere that the heart transplant would give her a full and active life, in fact it is highly dangerous. See her interview here.

She sounds like a very sensible, intelligent child and I am sure her parents would not have come to what must be a heart breaking decision to support her wishes without plenty of thought and emotion having gone into it. The last thing they need is people who know nothing of what they are feeling judging them.

totally agree, also with your second post.

I appreciate that and I don't mean to demean her choice really I don't, my frustration is in the hypocrisy(sp?) that allows her to make such a choice whilst refusing a grown adult a choice of a similar nature

Edited by doggy.lover

This brave young lady chose not to have an operation that could have killed her as it was not garenteed to be a success.She would rather spent time with her family and live possibily as long as the op would have given her as she would not have the stress and pain of an op.

This quite different to asking some one to kill you as that is what is the truth about assisted suicide .

Have nursed many people including family that suffered but with such bravery and some that would have and should have died with dignity if the medical profession had not kept them alive with drugs and ops etc.