UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cat Who's Forgotten Everything A Litter Tray Is For

Mrs B

One of my work colleagues took on a cat around 18 months ago when her owner died – think it’s around 6 or 7 years old now

The cat’s happily been using a litter tray – until a couple of weeks ago, when she decided that the litter tray was only for weeing in and anything solid had to be done behind the kitchen door! :wacko:

Last night the litter tray was moved behind the kitchen door – to see if that would solve the problem – so now the cat has found a new place to leave her solid presents, but will still wee in the litter tray even though it's moved! :rolleyes:

No changes in routine/health/food/household etc.

Anyone any suggestions for anything that might help/advice/comment?

Way outside my knowledge – which isn’t difficult when it comes to cats!

Edited by Mrs B

The answer to the first bit is yes.

The answer to the second is, yes, normally, although .............................. there was one occasion (a couple of weeks ago) when there wasn't enough litter in the tray, or it wasn't there ................. on which occasion the cat wee-ed where the litter tray should have been.

But I can still suggest frequency/depth as possible reasons .......... just in case.

Re the disinfectants: they do know that most disinfectants should NEVER be used near cats, right? Any of the ones that go cloudy when you pour them into water can be lethal to cats and should have a warning about that in the small print on the side.

To be honest, I'd stick to soap and water for litter box hygiene.

Might be worth trying different sorts of litter too, some cats are picky.

I was just Googling this and found some info that says that some cats don't like too much litter, and long-haired cats can prefer very little or even none. Also, using strong smelling disinfectants to clean the box can put cats off.

From my - not vast admittedly - experience, changes in toilet habits in cats generally indicate some form of displeasure. It appears to often be linked to a change. Are they absolutely sure nothing has changed, bearing in mind what might seem like a small or positive thing to them could well be a big deal to a sensitive puddy. Do they have any other pets?

From my - not vast admittedly - experience, changes in toilet habits in cats generally indicate some form of displeasure. It appears to often be linked to a change. Are they absolutely sure nothing has changed, bearing in mind what might seem like a small or positive thing to them could well be a big deal to a sensitive puddy. Do they have any other pets?

Was about to blithely say "no other pets" - then remembered they have a ferret (outdoors) who was there before the cat.

I think this is one pandered to pooch - some of which is shown in the quantity of food on offer on demand (read into that the truth!) so I wouldn't be at all surprised if she threw a paddy if there had been some minor change in her life.

My colleague's not around for the rest of the week, but I'm going to be sending her an e-mail with some of your suggestions - and will try to seek further info.

Cats are generally very clean and if there have been no changes in the home environment she ought to be checked out by the vet. 2 litter trays is a good idea and if she is soiling in the same inappropriate area - moving her food to that area may help as cats don't like to go to the toilet near their food (thats not to say she won't find an alternative spot though!) It might be worth cleaning the area behind the door with biological washing powder to break down the enzymes and then spraying the area with duluted white vinegar to get rid of any traces of her scent so that she will not be encouraged to keep going back there. Good luck