UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Single Older Bunny

batmobile

I have one neutered male bunny who is 9.5 years old. His brother died a few years ago suddenly unknown cause (we think heart attack as he was completely in tact and just lying on his side). since then we have moved house and Houdini has been on his own. He looks very healthy - thick shiny coat and bright eyes and eats all his food. He has a big run and hutch combo and gets to hop around the patio eating my plants :rolleyes: sometimes too. Anyway, I have wanted to get him another companion ever since his brother died but hubby thinks he seems happy enough without (how would you tell) and that getting him a friend opens up the cycle again. I was thinking of possibly getting a pair of rescue does, making it 3, but is this a bad idea? I thought he would die of a broken heart when his brother died but he seemed to recover and carry on. I know no one can tell you what to do but what is your experience considering his age and the fact that he has been on his own for a while now. Also, I worry if i get one rabbit, and he passes away, then that rabbit is then alone, hence why I am considering a pair. I did think of getting some guinea pigs and keeping them separate but nearby so he has someone to 'talk' to (and I want some piggies anyway). What would you recommend?

There are much more bunny savvy people on here than me but here's my thoughts...

Pairs of girls are unusual. Most of the time bunnies are kept in neutered mixed sexed combos as they're less likely to fall out that way. Introducing Houdini to a mixed sexed pair, while not impossible, is likely to be more difficult. Putting him with two girls would be likely to create friction between the two girls and lead to them falling out.

I'd personally recommend getting him a girlfriend. Yes that does mean you'll be left with one bunny again at some point but unfortunately that is the way of things with bunnies :( And there is never any shortage of single babbits looking for lurve in rescues when the time comes.

Although guineas do provide some interaction for rabbits its not the same as having another rabbit. Rabbits also carry some illnesses which are fatal to guineas so its best not to keep them in close proximity.

Rabbits do so much better with company that I'd say get Houdini a friend. He'll especially appreciate a bunny pal to cuddle up to during the winter.

Definitely a rabbit rather than a guinea pig, each need the company of their own kind and as Sproggie mentions rabbits can be carriers of a disease that is fatal to piggies.

I've successfully bonded a single male rabbit with a pair of girls, it worked out very well. The drawback with the plan is that there are generally less older girl rabbits coming into rescue than boys - if their owners haven't had them spayed the chance of uterine cancer killing a girl rabbit is incredibly high. So, I think you would need to be flexible and look for a single girl or pair of girls and not be too exacting about their age.

It's also worth bearing in mind that Houdini might not like the girl(s) that you choose. If you can find a local rescue who will do the bonding for you (can be stressful!) you might be able to have a second choice on standby in case Houdini doesn't fancy the first choice!

There is a list of bunnies looking for homes and a list of rescues on the Rabbit Rehome web site.

I used to have one gentleman bunny living with three girls (2 of them unspayed due to age too), he thought it was great and they didn't seem to mind at all. Same sex pairings may be more unusual nowadays now that neutering of rabbits is relatively cheap and safe, but years ago when I first kept rabbits it was the norm to keep them in same sex pairs. It was a bit more tempestuous, but it did mostly work.

The really essential thing for that, from what I have found, is lots of space, and I also think it's better if possible to have largish sleeping areas that have two exits. The time you get problems tends to be if one rabbit decides to get antsy and one of the others cannot get out of his/her way until she's got rid of her bad mood, so setups where the rabbits are in a hutch or something overnight are more likely to end up with somebunny getting hurt. They all need to be able to have an 'I want to be alone' moment at any time.

I do think that rabbits are happier in groups - I know it can be hard to tell, but when you see them interacting, in many little ways you can see that's what they are designed for.

I'm in the same boat as you at the moment: I have a 6 and a half year old single girl whose friends have passed on, but in her case its complicated by e. cuniculi infection, so so far I'm keeping her as an only because it's not really fair to put a potential companion at risk. She spends a lot of time not doing much, just snoozing and I know that when she had a friend she would have spent a lot of that time grooming and snuggling. :sad02:

My Benjamin was always an only bunny but he lived inside so we were his family. He lived til he was 11 1/2 going to rainbow bridge this year and i miss him madly. He did share his home with 3 dogs tho so i think he probably forgot he was a rabbit.

I now have 2 girls. I actually thought i had a boy and got Till from Leeds market as she looked a bit frail and i felt sorry fro her and thought Jack would love to have a bunny companion. It wasn't until i took Jack to be castrated that i found out he was a she and is now called Maisie!!

Between Maisie taking a while to recover from speying and Tilly suffering from Pasturella i have been unable to bond them properly yet :( However Tilly always goes to sit by Maisies hutch. I do think rabbits do better in pairs but Benj had cardiomyopothy so i never had him neutered as i felt the risk too great. I am hoping my 2 girls will bond and you find a friend for Houdini :wub:

Thanks for everyone's advice. I have been losing a lot of sleep actually over what to do. I wish I had got him a mate much much sooner after Yoda died because with each day, he is getting older and I am worried it will be too stressful/ late to get him a companion. I have contacted a few local rescues and am hoping to have a chat with them tomorrow about what is best. I was also looking into getting more than another pair - I have the space for a huge run/ several runs and I am sure there are plenty of rabbits needing loving homes. I really will have to see. I cried myself to sleep worrying about Houdini being lonely - silly, I know - so in my heart I want to get him a friend but he's been through a lot over the last year and stressing him is the last thing I want to do.

I believe the rescues will help me and that it will work out in the end. I have moved his hutch and run into the garage this eve as it is freezing outside and I haven't got enough hay until tomorrow. I will see how that 'change' grabs him and talk to the rescues tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes and what happens.

Thank you all so much again.

ps Helly, I live an hour and a half away from Freshfields now though I do work on the Wirral still. I am trying a nearer rescue first, although I have heard nothing but good things about Freshfields, and will see what happens.