UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cat Rescue Policy

Natpants

Someone on another forum has got a kitten from a rescue in Watford a few days ago. The insurance policy isn't valid for the first 14 days apparently but the kitten is very sick, dehydrated etc. The vet wanted to keep him in but due to money reasons the owner has taken him away with some meds and is keeping an eye on him for a few hours, trying to rehydrate him as she can't afford to have him stay in, although been told to take him back to go on a drip if he doesn't pick up in the next few hours. What would a rescue's policy be on this normally? The owner is saying the rescue are saying just to keep an eye on him, give him tlc and fluids and aren't helping out with the costs. What would be normal policy for a rescue under such circumstances? She's talking about giving him back if she can't afford the vet fees...

I'm obviously worried the kitten's not getting the care he needs due to financial constraints :(

The rescue should be paying :angry: I know my branch of Cats Protection would. Our main concern would be the welfare of the kitten and if the vet thinks it ought to be admitted then that's where it should be.

However, what if he got ill a few months after she adopted him? Was she going to keep on with the insurance? Because if without it she can't afford to pay any vets bills that crop up maybe she shouldn't have adopted him?

Not a cat rescue but if it were one of my animals I'd be looking to claim it back and get the treatment done. If the people aren't willing/able to cover the vet fees I wouldn't leave it with them. What if down the line the animal gets something not covered by the insurance?

I agree with you both, thank for your feedback.

I've no idea how he is or where the kitten is as she's not updated me :(

I found the idea of insurance not being valid for the first two weeks and the rescue not being prepared to help out either a bit odd - surely rescues must know there is a chance of a cat getting ill/needing veterinary care immediately upon leaving the rescue? I'm a bit cross with the woman to be honest - it's not like I'm made of money but I've always got the vet care then worried about paying for it as a secondary thought, as i think most of us here would. I think the vet would've kept him in ottherwise. Hopefully he's still alive, poor mite. :(

Edited by Natpants

I found the idea of insurance not being valid for the first two weeks and the rescue not being prepared to help out either a bit odd - surely rescues must know there is a chance of a cat getting ill/needing veterinary care immediately upon leaving the rescue? I'm a bit cross with the woman to be honest - it's not like I'm made of money but I've always got the vet care then worried about paying for it as a secondary thought, as i think most of us here would. I think the vet would've kept him in ottherwise. Hopefully he's still alive, poor mite. :(

I don't think any pet insurance policy is valid for illness for 14 days from start of policy - they cover accidents from the start but not illness. It's difficult to comment on the rescue without knowing all the information and there's only the new owner's word for what the rescue has said.

I hope the poor kitten is ok :sad02:

I don't think any pet insurance policy is valid for illness for 14 days from start of policy - they cover accidents from the start but not illness. It's difficult to comment on the rescue without knowing all the information and there's only the new owner's word for what the rescue has said.

I hope the poor kitten is ok :sad02:

Yeah apparently that is quite common with insurance policies, which I never realised. No more updates I'm afraid. Hope they've sorted something out and he's better anyway. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Edited by Natpants

All I got was a pm asking the name of the rescue? I'm not on here much, I'm pretty busy (as you can probably tell as I'm on here about 5 minutes every few months), didn't think it was particularly important to reply immediately but apologies but not having replied straight away to your pm. I popped on to say thanks to people for replying on the thread.

I don't know the exact name. One in Watford.

All I got was a pm asking the name of the rescue? I'm not on here much, I'm pretty busy (as you can probably tell as I'm on here about 5 minutes every few months), didn't think it was particularly important to reply immediately but apologies but not having replied straight away to your pm. I popped on to say thanks to people for replying on the thread.

I don't know the exact name. One in Watford.

cheers nats. i thought twas urgent from the way you described. safneo has sorted me the info.

KRUSEWALKER ON DANISH LOGIN

Edited by DanishPastry