UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Trailer Tent

elricc

We started with a folding camper, had most of what a caravan has but canvas top. We loved it at first when the weather was good, but after a week in Wales and another in Scotland, both in August, were we had to sit in our sleeping bags all evening even though we had a fire on, we swopped it for a caravan. We never looked back, even the dogs prefered the caravan to the camper.

We couldn't use it during the winter, it was far too cold, only the summer. If it was windy being much higher than a tent it really shook, the dogs were terrified in the wind.

If you don't want to tow something as high as a caravan you can get folding ones that are just as good, but more work setting up and you have to open them up at home to pack them before setting off which you don't with a caravan.

If I can tow a caravan anyone can, I hitched ours on 3 months after passing my driving test and towed it 140 miles, best thing I ever did. :laugh:

Go on ukcampsite.co.uk all the advice you want on there.

We started with a TT loved it. Some are really big :)

We now have a 1985 conway cruiser (folding camper)

I love it they have good and bad points.

Good easy to tow lots of space when up.

Bad cannot be put away wet

Have a good look at them on ebay gives a good idea what they are like.

Conway are good must be if I have a 1985.

But go on above website some good advice on there :)

Any questions I will answer I really did study before I bought :laugh:

Now is a really good time to buy.

Again good advice on the website of what to look for when buying.

I have camped in 2 brands of trailer tents and the 2 are different.

My parents have a combicamp, very easy to put up the main part (bedroom) and the canvas is good quality also it must be about 20 years old and still in fairly good condition, however they are more expensive than most.

Last weekend i was away in a friends Conway trailer tent. Not quite as easy to put up but not difficult either, just takes longer (combicamp more instant!) advantage over the combicamp is that the conway has a bedroom on each side whereas the comicamp also a 4 berth has 1 large room with divider (not quite as easy to share!)

Hope that makes sense, i know my friend paid £250 for her conway not that long ago.

Jessy

i loved my old trailer tent.

Frankly-if you have more then 3 firing neurons-you can put up a trailer tent.

Go for a modern one-theyre lighter/more waterproof-and usually you can get bigger awnings-essential for dogs.

i never found it cold-but the mattresses are usually thin-so be prepared!

basically treat it like you would a decent tent-and enjoy

my old one had 2 double beds which folded out from the centre-with loads of storage for usual bits & bobs (it had god awful orange curtains as well!)

i prefer them to a caravan-easier to store/monouvre-but the camping clubs will advise.

i have had a raclet & a conway

fee