UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Any Ideas To Help Tillee

yena

Well, we are into our second week of training and I could do with some ideas to help Tillee. One of the things we are doing is walking, twists, turns etc, to music, well I'm sure you can imagine Tillee just doesn't know whats going on :unsure: . So what I need is ideas that would help her to understand what the word command is when we do these movements. I'd thought about a stick that I could place next to her side/head etc, until she knows what the command means. Any other ideas anybody?????

For anybody that doesn't know Tillee, she is unable to see :)

Well, we are into our second week of training and I could do with some ideas to help Tillee. One of the things we are doing is walking, twists, turns etc, to music, well I'm sure you can imagine Tillee just doesn't know whats going on :unsure: . So what I need is ideas that would help her to understand what the word command is when we do these movements. I'd thought about a stick that I could place next to her side/head etc, until she knows what the command means. Any other ideas anybody?????

For anybody that doesn't know Tillee, she is unable to see :)

If its Angela thats teaching your class try asking her at the end or maybe if you can see her for 5mins before class and she'll show you how she works with Kiri her blind dog :)

perhaps a clicker

one click to turn right and gently pull her round with the lead, 2 clicks left (or a different sound perhaps)

not too sure as I don't do any training classes, and there will be more knowledge out there in fugee land than i have

on a lighter note if you still struggle in

a weeks time send her to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :biggrin: :biggrin:

:wub: :wub:

Had a couple of suggestions from Angie, but they are more play related and Tillee hasn't played since she had her eyes removed. So I wondered if anybody here might be able to make a suggestion :flowers:

Ah I see! Well, this may be the same as what you've already tried so bear with me!

First stage - teaching a reward marker (like a clicker sound)

- take three pieces of treat/food in one hand

- say X crisply and happily and promptly deliver tasty food into doglets mouth

- repeat twice more (try to have the food arrive almost the same time as you say X

Second stage - teaching an "its coming" reward sound

- take three more pieces of food into your hand

- Start saying x x x x x x x x x x x x x X bringing the food closer to her mouth and delivering into mouth on the final louder X. The little x's are said softly and quickly if that makes sense?

- repeat as before - hopefully by the third time Tillee should be actively stretching her nose out for the food - because your x'ing is telling her its on the way :biggrin:

Practice these until you are sure she associates the X with food, and she is starting to move her head towards your voice for the xxxxxxxxX

Then - use a tasty smelly treat to start luring her round in a circle - I'd start very very small - so if she turns her head to follow the treat say X crisply and reward immediately. Repeat, asking for a bit more movement each time. Once she actually starts to move more than just her head use the soft repeated xxxxxxx to let her know she's doing well and keep going. Remember a nice crisp X at the end and a reward.

Think little steps - so if you can get a steady turn in one direction in a weeks time that would be fab :flowers:

Anything that doesn't make sense just shout! Its also called SATS and Angela is a trainer in that method so will be able to help you with it in person

Edited to add that I would start adding in the command (twist/twirl etc) once she is doing at least half of the circle? So your voice would be saying "twist" hand starts to lure with treat "x x x x x x xxxxxxxxX!" as she completes the circle

Edited by purple_mog

perhaps a clicker

one click to turn right and gently pull her round with the lead, 2 clicks left (or a different sound perhaps)

not too sure as I don't do any training classes, and there will be more knowledge out there in fugee land than i have

on a lighter note if you still struggle in

a weeks time send her to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :biggrin: :biggrin:

:wub: :wub:

Clickers a bit difficult with it been in training class and there are several dogs, sorry :blush02: should have added that.

If I do struggle you never know I might send her to you. :D

Thanks purple-mog, I've printed it off, so I can have a better read and try it :laugh: :laugh:

Took her to do some training on Saturday, and would she, would she h4ll. So I thought it was best to just let it go, so I've not been able to try it fully yet, did manage to do a little bit of what you suggested last night and it seemed to go well. Going to give it another go this weekend and see now she does. Brought a training stick, which I thought I could but sausages on or put paste on it. Angie thought it would be a good idea, so I'm going to have a go with that too. :)