UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Booking A Holiday Cottage

samantha_r

Hello I don't post very much (bit shy :blush02:) so apologies it this sounds cheeky but has anyone had success previously cancelling a holiday using these terms and conditions?

2. The receipt of a signed booking form and/or payment of the deposit is deemed to be a firm booking and it is assumed that the tenant has read and agrees to abide by the hiring terms and conditions which can be found on our website and in our brochure. If accepted, the Hirer becomes liable for the full balance of charges which are payable six weeks prior to the commencement of the holiday and eight weeks in the case of overseas bookings. Non-payment of the balance of the hire charges by the due date will result in the agency treating the property as being available for re-booking.

3. If the hirer cancels a confirmed booking they remain liable for payment of the full cost of the holiday. Upon receipt of written confirmation of the cancellation from the hirer, the agency will endeavour to re-let the property and if successful will make a full refund to the hirer less an administration fee of GBP 60 (inclusive of VAT) and any other expenses incurred in re-letting.

I have booked a holiday today and paid the balance in full as it is due in full by 230808. Since booking I have some concerns about a house keeping deposit and how am I being asked to pay it. The full conditions are not on the website and were only explained after the booking with full details being sent in the post.

I'll be speaking with the agent tomorrow but to be quite honest I'm put off with the way it was handled.

Hoping hopefully that there is a get out clause - thank you for reading :flowers:

Samantha

Hi Samantha

Are you positive that the terms and conditions re: the housekeeping deposit are not buried somewhere on the website? (If you wanted to PM me the link I could have a look for you). Please don't think that I am suggesting you are stupid its just that these things can sometimes be very difficult to find.

If they are definitely not there then I would hope that you would be able to get out of this based on the fact that you were not able to agree to terms and conditions that were not available to you at the time of booking.

Should you have any further problems a good place to ask for advice would be in the Travel & Holidays section of the MoneySavingExpert forums :flowers:

Years ago we (the now ex & I) booked a holiday under similar terms and had to cancel as he was made redundant.

IIRC we got 80% of the amount back as they managed to re-let.

If they are in breach of any terms I'd think they'd feel obliged to refund as it doesn't look very good on them as a business. I'm wondering if Sherlock Bones might be able to advise? (Sorry Dee :laugh: )

Hi

Thanks for the replies - the only thing apparent on the website is that the housekeeping deposit is £150. The company I booked with are an agent, the deposit was briefly explained on the phone with full details to follow in the post.

To be honest I think I will be told I have made a firm booking and therefore cannot cancel but I will ring them now and see what happens.

Samantha

Hello again

The payment hadn't been processed and I managed to cancel. It just seemed quite strange and when I tried to ask about the terms it was all swept under the carpet before she suggested I cancel. I realise I'm coming across as a bit of a muppet but honestly the whole thing made me uncomfortable and I'm feeling quite relieved.

Thank you

Samantha

Hello again

The payment hadn't been processed and I managed to cancel. It just seemed quite strange and when I tried to ask about the terms it was all swept under the carpet before she suggested I cancel. I realise I'm coming across as a bit of a muppet but honestly the whole thing made me uncomfortable and I'm feeling quite relieved.

Thank you

Samantha

Might be worth checking with your credit card company just in case they've charged it. :flowers:

Hello again

Thank you

Samantha

If you were feeling uncomfortable about it there was probably a good reason, always trust your instincts! Glad you managed to cancel.

Hello again

Thank you

Samantha

Don't feel like that.I very recently booked a flight and had a niggling bad feeling about it.It resulted in me having to cancel my bank card to stop the company removing money from my account but I'm really glad I followed my gut instinct having now read horrendous reviews about the company concerned.

"an administration fee of GBP 60 (inclusive of VAT)"

Bl**dy nora - they charge that even if they relet?? That's outrageous!! In our experience with the Piggery, it takes a couple of emails and phone calls to relet - particularly for peak weeks. How can they justify £60???

I think you've made the right decision to cancel, tbh.

Cheers, Carrie