UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Entertaining Ernie - Pembroke Corgi

Fee

Ernie is an 11 year old Pembroke Corgi who came into Oldies Club care in sad circumstances when his mum died and his elderly dad couldn’t care for him alone. Ernie is now in an Oldies Club foster home near Swindon in Wiltshire.

Ernie - named after Ernie Wise (short fat hairy legs!) - is a wonderful and entertaining little character. He’s a typical corgi; bright, alert and active, who loves nothing better than to play ‘fetch’ with his toys and will keep going as long as there is someone willing to throw for him.

ernieoc_boomerang.jpg

He’s an independent little fellow, he’s not bothered about strokes and fuss but loves to be wherever people are in the house and to sit near (or preferably on) their feet and give the occasional lick and a cheeky grin! He’s always right in the centre of anything going on.

Ernie shares his foster home with five other dogs and is fine with them, but he does pretty much ignore them and do his own thing. He probably wouldn’t appreciate bouncy dogs or dogs who pestered him too much. He loves the teenage children in the household, particularly if they can be persuaded to throw a ball for him! Ernie does not like cats.

ernieoc_regal.jpg

Ernie has been vet-checked and seems to be in good health, but he needs to lose a pound or two (much to his disgust!). He has a weak back leg, which appears to be a long-standing joint problem. It doesn’t appear to hurt or hamper him when he’s in the house or garden, but it means he doesn’t like going for walks and he can’t manage steps or stairs. A secure garden where he can run and a willingness to play with him and make sure he gets plenty of exercise at home is therefore a must.

ernieoc_standing.jpg

Possibly because of his bad leg Ernie does not like being pulled around and in particular won’t tolerate being picked up and can throw quite an impressive tantrum if you try. His foster family are using a ramp to get him in and out of the car, which he seems quite happy with, and once in the car he settles and travels well. However, for vets visits and things like nail clipping he will need to be muzzled to be on the safe side.

Ernie is neutered, vaccinated, microchipped and flea and worm treated.

Ernie will make a wonderful addition to any household looking for a big personality in a small package!

If you would like to find out more about Ernie, please refer to our Adoption Procedures for information about the adoption process. You can then contact an Oldies Club rehoming co-ordinator as follows:

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0844 586 8656

Ernie can be rehomed anywhere in the UK, subject to a satisfactory home visit, but please note that you will be required to travel to the foster home to meet him.

• 2 weeks later...

He is fabulous, a really fun little dog. He's in foster with me and I luffs him rather a lot :wub:

Although the previous owner said he didn't like going for walks he's been going for short walks every day for the last week and is loving it! He doesn't want to go far but he can sniff for England.

He's fine with the other dogs, adores my teenage children, is clean and dry in the house, knows all his basic commands and is OK to leave for 2-3 hours. He has adopted a ratty old tennis ball and carries it everywhere and drops it hopefully at your feet from time to time :laugh:

He's a very special little boy and deserves a special home of his own.

Edited by Fee

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't believe nobody wants my little Ernie-Wernie :mecry:

He is such a funny, sweet little dog, absolutely full of personality. He loves having his ears scratched, likes to sit on your feet, and goes all silly and wriggly when he's brushed and rolls around waving his legs in the air (which makes the brushing difficult, but is so cute) :wub:

He loves his little walks, but is much more interested in spending time sniffing than in going any great distance. He's fine offlead, he sticks pretty close to you, but is a bit deaf (literally and selectively I suspect) so needs to be in a safe area. He really is a cracking little dog, for anyone willing to work around his dislike of being picked up (which is fear, I'm sure) he is so worth it.

Ernie3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ernie has gone to his new home today. It's been a long wait, but absolutely the perfect home turned up for him in the end :biggrin:

A huge thank you to Welsh Corgi Rescue for passing on Ernie's details and putting his new owner in touch :flowers:

Ernie has gone to his new home today. It's been a long wait, but absolutely the perfect home turned up for him in the end :biggrin:

A huge thank you to Welsh Corgi Rescue for passing on Ernie's details and putting his new owner in touch :flowers:

:rolleyes: that's fantastic news!! brings a tear to the eye.