UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

15 Year Old Weighs 33 Stone.

Kathyw

I was leafing through one of the sunday papers (I do the skeleton crossword and it takes all week sometimes) and I saw this article.

The child lives on crisps, cola, bread, mars bars etc. The mother said she cannot afford to buy the girl healthy food.

The correspondant said since when has an apple cost more than a mars bar?

The girl does not have the money to buy the mountain of junk food she eats - only the mother does that. It's an excuse for being too lazy to buy and cook healthy meals, so much eaier to just stuff the kid with junk food.

When a child weighs more than its age something is very wrong. I think this is child abuse, serious neglect of the welfare of the child at the very least.

Doctors have said the girl could drop dead at any moment because of the strain on her young heart.

ffs what planet does her mother live on?

The girl is off to a fat farm - the mother should be off to jail with parenting and cooking lessons compulsary daily.

Edited by Kathyw

I saw a really good programme about 8 years ago about an american teenager who was morbidly obese, thay had to take a wall down to get her out of the house, I think she was around 13 and weighed a 30 + stone. Her mother was prosecuted for abuse and they categorised her as a feeder, it was how she controlled her daughter etc. The mother tried to say that her daughter had Prada-Willy syndrome, where you have no control at all over your appetite, but the daughter did not have this at all.

She was removed for good from her mothers care and after a year her weight had dropped to 20 stone and was expected to go down to at least 10 in the succeeding year. She needed surgery to remove skin etc.

I do think its abuse

Mum being a feeder immediately sprang to my mind! Girls mum has trapped her child in her own body so child can't do without mum, bizzare to say the least. I hope this girl gets the help she so badly needs, she has a long fight on her hands to lose such a huge amount of weight.

I think it's child abuse!

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure I can agree with abuse - still making my mind up.

But neglect is just as serious. And she has neglected her childs health.

Neglect is a category of child abuse.There are four.Physical abuse,Sexual abuse,emotional abuse and neglect.These are categories adhered to by all Local Safeguarding Children Boards.

I fully agree, abuse! she has SOME control, probably a large part over what a child of that age eats..my daughter is 7 and could not possibly get to anywhere near that weight if it wasnt down to me, obviously when she is out visiting friends, family and at school I cannot always see what she eats but the majority of the time she is in MY care, so i CAN sort of control the amount and type of food she eats...this woman has sat back and watched this happen :( poor, poor child..

Jules, can a person still be legally declared to be an unfit mother?

Sorry Phebe didn't see this.

Not to my knowledge no.Many times my colleagues and I have said we wish they could and be forcibly sterilised.However what happens is they have the baby and it is either removed at birth if there are enough concerns or they are given a chance to parent with very close supervision which they usually fail at and then the baby is removed by legal proceedings. Sadly some of the girls we see pregnant you just know are never ever going to be allowed to keep the baby because their problems are way too serious,we have one at the moment and I know how it's going to end before the child is even born.It's very sad and very painful for them to have to go through it all.