UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cat Safe Greyhounds

cycas

I was just looking at a site someone posted on a small international greyhound forum where I am a member, and clicked through to have a quick nose at the dogs (cos they are on another continent, so it's safe, right?) Have a look: http://pups-without-partners.org/

The thing that struck me at once, as a cat owner, was the sheer number of dogs they had listed that were cat safe. I've noticed this before on this particular forum - some US-based person will post that they are interested in a dog and 'just need to check that he's cat-safe' before bringing him home - and he almost always is. Whereas I think here in the UK, one would probably assume that a racing greyhound would not be cat friendly until proven otherwise? I looked at another list of dogs in case it was a freak - same thing, at least half were cat-friendly.

If you look at greyhounds seeking homes in this country, the cat friendly ones listed are a small minority, and almost always dogs that have retired early or non-chasers, whereas (being nosy) I checked one of those pups without partners dogs - she had 92 races. Normally British rehoming listings for dogs that raced that much don't even mention living with cats, it seems to be assumed that a long racing career automatically rules out cat friendliness....

So, what are they doing that we aren't doing (or vice versa) ? Or are greyhounds different in the USA?

It does seem strange, not just with regards to greyhounds but dogs in general. At our centre we have real trouble finding dogs that can live with cats (and when we do they get snapped up!). Maybe they're less picky about what is "cat friendly". We do a test with our resident dog killer (Kevin the cat) and if a dog of any breed shows an inclination to chase we won't home it with cats. What we look for is dogs being either indifferent, friendly or scared of the cat and it doesn't happen that often.

It does seem strange, not just with regards to greyhounds but dogs in general. At our centre we have real trouble finding dogs that can live with cats (and when we do they get snapped up!). Maybe they're less picky about what is "cat friendly". We do a test with our resident dog killer (Kevin the cat) and if a dog of any breed shows an inclination to chase we won't home it with cats. What we look for is dogs being either indifferent, friendly or scared of the cat and it doesn't happen that often.

I agree with your procedure yet we often have dogs here who would fail your test but we can cat train. It's really irritating, isn't it?

Yes, I think both of mine would stand a chance of failing too, depending on the mood they were in on the day of the test, and assuming it was an unfamiliar cat...

It appears that some of the US groups have a system whereby if a greyhound is offered a home with a cat, it's moved to a foster home with a cat for training for a week or so first - which seems like a good idea if you have the foster homes and facilities to do it with reasonable safety.

I agree with your procedure yet we often have dogs here who would fail your test but we can cat train. It's really irritating, isn't it?

I have often wondered about this. It's not the greyhounds that are different I would guess, but perhaps the rescue system and/or peoples expectations.

My belief is that most dogs can be taught what is not to be chased/eaten. I don't have cats, chickens are the closest; despite Monty and Mack being extremely keen when they first arrived they do not even give them a look now.

Do the US rescue centres (or should that be centers as they are US :)) have a more formalised system of assessment that allows them to make the decision?

Or do they just lie in order to get the dogs into homes and hope? :closedeyes:

Is that the majority of prospective owners here expect the dog to come gift wrapped and ready to slot into their lives, rather than accepting that there will be a learning curve for all concerned, which perhaps in the US they do?

Do US rescue centres have the resources to provide more hands-on back-up than in the UK?

Lots of questions which I can't answer, but perhaps if someone has contacts into the US via friends or a forum it might be worth finding out what is going on. If more dogs in the UK could have the "Cat Safe" sticker it might help them find homes quicker.

Have got a couple of responses that are quite interesting

Even in the U.S., cat safe greys are considered such only when inside. All bets are off outside and as reiterated in the referenced thread, it looks like the vast majority of adoption groups would not sign off on a dog being cat safe if the cat goes out.

With respect to cat testing, I don't know that the methods would be any different. We categorize them as cat-safe (showed no interest or mild interest and easily diverted), cat-correctable (interest but can be diverted and then loses interest, need close work but can learn), and then cat killers (you know those because they would fixate on the cat and not be diverted, may start to quiver etc.). These are broad categories and variations in between but you get the gist. When we home a dog with a cat, we provide lots of guidance on appropriate introductions, use of the muzzle, etc. There are so many people in the U.S. who have cats, it would be awful if the notion was that the two cannot live together. Fortunately, many greys can peacefully coexist with them--indoors.

Usually the cat designation for a particular dog will be based on one encounter with a cat altho some dogs may be in a foster home with cats and thus have more experience. Adopters here in the States are usually counselled that there are no guarantees and that most "cat-safe" (and all "cat-correctable") dogs will need some training and monitoring with the adopter's particular cats.

Also it is noted that use of muzzles when out in the yard/garden (especially with two or more hounds) is far more common than here. So when playing in the garden, random wildlife including cats stand more of a chance.

It also varies from state to state and with different adoption societies with their policies on *cat safe*

Lucy raced until just before her 5th birthday, and while she lived with Ray she always walked with other greyhounds, so the "There's a cat" bouncing spread among them quickly. While with me she learned very quickly that she should not chase them (although there was Hound of the Baskervilles howling if she got up in the night and saw one walking down the road). Alice Terrier on the other hand simply refused to listen to "No" if there were cats about. They were out the front one day when a cat decided to walk across the end of the cul de sac.... both raced off, I shouted no, and it was the ex racer who went "Oh, ok, I'll come straight back" ............ right to the end of her life if she saw a cat the ears would go up, and she would watch it but she would not pull on the lead (lovely girl).