UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ginger

Karen

ginger300708b.jpg

Ginger is a lovely friendly boy who loves his cuddles. Chances are that he is a lionhead cross, he's not very big and has a bit of a wisp of longer hair between his ears.

Ginger was abandoned by his owners. The neighbours know that he'd lived in that home for 5 years so we are estimating him to be 6 years old. He doesn't give the impression of being a very elderly rabbit - his teeth are a bit yellow but he can be quite lively, running up and time at times!

Ginger has been vaccinated against both myxi an HVD and has been neutered. He is looking for a spacious home with a nice neutered girl rabbit. A homecheck will be carried out and donation towards his medical costs is requested.

He is being home by The Rabbit House Rescue in Chertsey, Surrey but can travel to the right home. Please pm or email me for further information.

ginger300708.jpg

Edited by Karen

He's gorgeous- how far can he travel & what donation is required. I have two rescued females rabbits, 1 netherland dwarf cross & one ?? white with pink eyes.They live in seprate hutches but would love some company. They were rehomed earlier in the year from people who's kids didn't want them any more. i also have rescue piggies, gerbils, cockatiels, dogs & quail.

Zepthedep will vouch for me as I'm their Fund Raising Co-Ordinator.

I've just bought another 2 storey hutch & have two seperate runs plus an adjustable pen.

Hi Karen- I doubt if the two girls are spayed- I havent had them done myself ( not been irresponsible they just haven't been near any other rabbits) As I got them from some people I actually bought a guinea pig cage off they didn't give me any info. I'd say they are approx 2 yr old. I've had rabbits in the past & either kept same litter females or males together with no problems.

The only thing the prev owners told me was they dont like each other. I haven' put them in same pen together yet but put there runs side by side or let on have the run of the garden & 1 stay in the pen.

If you ok with this then can do home check- would need to be after work or weekend (plse bear in mind Sat are normally taken up with ZRR)

Unless some-one closer to home is able to help him. I could probably get him out of Wellingborough on transport with our wagons.

This might be bad news Tracy, but you really need to get both girls spayed! For two reasons really -

Firstly rabbits look cute and harmless but can fight really nastily if they don't like their potential new partner. The best chance of success is to have a neutered male and a neutered female pair, the less hormones around the better! Girls bunnies are pretty territorial (worse than the boys) and the bonding attempt is likely to fail unless they are spayed. Even if it did work out, living with another rabbit will probably trigger off phantom pregnancies, fur plucking and stroppy moods.

Secondly female rabbits have a risk of between 80 and 90% of contracting uterine cancer by the age of 5 years. There are no warming symptoms, the rabbit will just die.

So, do you want to investigate the cost/experience of your vet in neutering rabbits and let me know what you think? You need to allow at least a month after spaying for the hormone levels to reduce.

The Rabbit Welfare Association have some useful information about neutering and rabbits living together . Here's the link to the whole page of leaflets linky in case you fancy some more reading.

Where abouts are you?

Thanks for advice- will look into it.

I am in in Hemsworth -West Yorks -WF9 4RJ

but travel across towards Sheffield quite often with ZRR.

Work has a depot in Wellingborough that runs up here weekly. They will bring the little things that go in boxes but not snakes lol

• 3 weeks later...
I'm sorting getting mine spayed. Not forgotten about cutie wabbit. Finances had to be sorted cos I got two rabbits already

:thumbsup_still: It's not cheap is it, but very worthwhile. You might even find that your two girls will live together given a bit of time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...