UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Serious Advice Needed

Ciren

whilst on our walk earlier we came across 3 large dogs, the moment they saw Peaches they came over, before i knew what was going on she was surrounded. they were friendly but she still sat down and to be honest i thought she looked a little scared.

anyway they evertually left and all tails were wagging, she looked tiny surrounded by them.

what went through my mind was should i pick her up so she is out of the way or try and walk away. this time it was okay but what abotu next time? what if the dogs aren't friendly?

please and thank you in advance

I would say No to picking her up :GroupHug: It'll likely make the other dogs jump up at you to get to her to sniff, investigate. A dogs response will be to jump up at her/you and then she really would be worried. It would aslo signal to her that something was going to happen. Best just to keep your eyes peeled and change direction if you see dogs you'd rather avoid. I've not had small dogs before (except foster Nicely who can well stand up for himself if needs be) but I have seen it cause problems when owners do this.

Good advice from Vonny. :flowers:

If Peaches is not worried and the dogs are not attacking her then just walk away calmly, praising her for being so good. :wub:

Try not to ever get stressed over this type of thing. As silly as it sounds you can transfer the "stress" down the lead.

You will meet lots of people with other dogs off lead that race over. Most sensible people call their dogs back.

It just shows that Peaches is comfortable with you. :flowers:

Kazz xx

i gonna get her into a training class asap but it has to wait untill hubby is driving i am afraid. the stress of going on the bus *would* transfer down the lead.

she usually is very good when out, she wants to say hello especially with people. but i think even i would be worried if surrounded by 3 huge people.

specially if they were having a sniff :D

Iwould definately say No to picking her up as has already been said. One of my dogs is absolutely fine with dogs on the ground but as soon as you have absolutely anything in your arms he will jump up and be extremely interested and nippy. Not something you would want for Peaches, you need to be very calm and if you can upbeat and cheary :)