UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Borstal

DanishPastry

I don't find it offensive ( I'll reserve that for Mr Milan) and out of the three of them if I had to choose one it would be Mic, at least he looks to see what will motivate the dog and give it some sort of outlet for it's instincts, I loved the episode with the big scenting hound ( can't remember his breed) that Mic had tracking through the woods, he was blown away by the dogs ability.

The other two, especially the lady trainer I'm not so sure about, rattle bottles.........must have Mr Mugford tearing his hair out the way they use them, they are supposed to disrupt and not be associated with the handler not used as a threat, which is what that pair seem to do, and I was incandecent to see the lady trainer use Training Discs in completly the wrong way, again she used them to startle the dog, they are supposed to mark a "non-reward" just as a clicker is used to mark a reward, not to disrupt or frighten, the dog must be tuned into the discs first not just have them flung at them, and don't get me started on that poor Ambull :( .

I've only watched a couple of episodes, but it does remind me that *a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing* often happens in IT areas, oh yes if I just click there I think that does it :rolleyes:

I'd been more interested in a series of showing the work and commitment that goes into working with a dog to turn it away from its problems.

I've always enjoyed it. Found it frustrating sometimes when they don't explain exactly how to use the training items but otherwise I think it's fab. I'd love Mick to work with Tiz or Sidney for me.

what we see if very condensed, and thats down to the editors, not the trainers

The day seems to start at 6am, and they are putting the dogs back in the kennel

about 6pm (ish), so there will be a lot of work/assessment we dont get to see.

I do feel for that AMBull too, shame it never made it to a place such as EGAR and be

given another chance at living :(

Edited by Laurel n Hardy

I haven't seen them do that :( Although an APDT trainer I went to last year did that to Koda when he was small - didn't go back there again!

I hope you have reported that APDT trainer!!! The APDT needs to know as trainers like that give all of us apdt trainers a bad reputation!

Vera

I don't like it :unsure: although.....I go on DP I do have my own mind :wacko: (Just :laugh: )

I went to Mick Martains dog training class and didn't like his macho B Shi*te. And he scared scared Cookie :angry: and myself a bit :rolleyes:

There has been a few things that worried me, like when he rolled that large Dog and the Dog sounded, like it was having trouble breathing :( and I thought if anyone else at Home copied that they could lose their Face.

I just wish they would make more of a point... that their methods were never attempted without professional advice.

Edited by Amie

I hope you have reported that APDT trainer!!! The APDT needs to know as trainers like that give all of us apdt trainers a bad reputation!

Vera

No I haven't reported him, wasn't sure it would make a difference. I tried to report another club who was registered with the KC because one of the trainers smacked a dog and pulled him so hard across the floor that he choked. It got no where - probably didn't help that the 'head trainer' of that club is a celebrity :wacko: When I complained at the time, I was told some dogs need smacking - this one was a timid little chap who hadn't been taught stay properly and was clearly torn between staying put and following his master - following his master got him hit and dragged across the floor. Still makes me so angry to think about.

I've given up trying to find a decent pet training club, they're either rough or boring - endless circles of heelwork that are enough to put any dog off. I've been to some truly awful ones around Leicester and have actually left a couple on the verge of tears. I travel over an hour to get to a club now but I'd love to find one close to home too, as I enjoy training. I left the one where the "trainer" held Koda up by his lead and went to another one, KC registered, been going a long time, and was horrified to find the dogs were treated even more roughly. Whilst I wouldn't again give someone my dog's lead without making sure what they were going to do, I also don't want to go to classes and watch other dogs being treated badly - I complained about the way one man kept nagging and correcting a gorgeous, happy 14 week lab puppy with his lead so hard that he kept bouncing off the wall behind him (luckily it was in a portacabin, not so hard as bricks) but I might as well have been talking to myself. A rescue terrier was taught down by being pushed into it forcefully, to the point where he was frightened and I really thought he might bite. His owner was upset afterwards. A man with a bolshy young boxer was told to 'dominate' it :wacko: it was already biting his shoes in frustration and he was encouraged to be confrontational with it! I hate to think what will happen to that dog eventually.

I could go on...

Compared to some of the 'real life' training clubs out there - Dog Borstal doesn't seem so bad. The follow-ups, unless complete lies :unsure: seem to show greater harmony between dogs and their owners and more often than not, dogs end up staying in their homes.

No I haven't reported him, wasn't sure it would make a difference.

The apdt do follow up complaints! It is so disheartening hearing stories like these, but then finding out that they have not been reported. If the apdt office doesn't know about it, they can't do anything... and those rogue trainers just continue doing what they do and continue damaging the apdt's reputation in the process. :(

Vera

(apdt member 00791 - not using any rough and hands-on methods at all!)

The apdt do follow up complaints! It is so disheartening hearing stories like these, but then finding out that they have not been reported. If the apdt office doesn't know about it, they can't do anything... and those rogue trainers just continue doing what they do and continue damaging the apdt's reputation in the process. :(

Vera

(apdt member 00791 - not using any rough and hands-on methods at all!)

I see what you mean - I will contact them.

Don't suppose you do any training near Leicester do you :rolleyes: :laugh:

Hadn't watched the programme until my daughter gave me a free-view box.

But I must admit, I did wonder what all the fuss was about. Thought it would a lot worse than it is. Fair enough, I don't always agree with what they say and do. But they are always saying that the only thing that is guaranteed, is that dog trainers will NOT agree!!!!!

Loved the week that Mick got the Chee-wow-wa

(can't spell!!)

He couldn't swap it quick enough!!!! :laugh:

But he does seem to have a soft spot for bull-breeds. So as much as I would love to scrub his mouth out with soap and water, guess he's not that bad. :rolleyes:

I tried to report another club who was registered with the KC because one of the trainers smacked a dog and pulled him so hard across the floor that he choked.

You wouldn't get anywhere as they don't have any standards KC clubs have to abide by.

they do have an accredited trainer scheme but when I look at the people I know who are trying to qualify I doubt its value.

I belong to a KC club that has obedience and agility sections.

The obedience side isn't as bad as some although there is one trainer I wouldn't let within a million miles of my dogs. The others mean well and think they are positive trainers but they are still stuck in the past and see training a dog as a battle rather than a pleasure dog and handler can both enjoy.

Pam