UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Melanoma

Karen

Lily has had a few lumps appear over the last few months. The vet checked them over again yesterday and thinks that one of them might be a melanoma. The only way to tell if it is malignant or not is to have a biopsy taken but we've put that on hold for a while since we are not far off going on holiday and the vet thinks there is a fair chance of it bleeding, not a good combination with sand, sea and someone else's carpet!

I've googled melanoma today and found lots about mouth and eye problems, but really not much about a melanoma on the body like Lily possibly has. Do any of you have experience of this that you could share with me please?

hi, my beautiful soul dog jaffa had this in her mouth.nothing could be done for her because of where it was :mecry: :mecry: i am not sure about when it is on the body.sorry i cant be more helpful.wishing you really good positive thoughts when she has her biopsy.please keep us updated :flowers:

I remember :GroupHug:

I'll talk to the vet again about a biopsy when we get home from holiday. There are several complicating factors - Lily is allergic to stitches, can't take most pain relief and is really in a very bad way with arthritis. The inability to control her arthritis pain might mean that she only has a short time with us anyway and to include a general anaesthetic in that time doesn't really seem right.

Anyway, the more information I can gather, the more I can make sensible decisions. Hopefully.

No problem & no promises on this one but if nsaids etc are out have you tried

Alfalfa: (Which means "the father of all foods") which is said to be full of trace minerals and vitamins A, E, K, B, and D. It has also been used to alleviate the pain and stiffness of arthritis and the discomfort of stomach ailments. Taken from http://www.giveusahome.com/articles/supplement.htm

Glucosamine http://www.a1msm.co.uk/glucosamine.htm

Magnetic collar / bed - haven't tried these myself but I believe a few here have had success - try asking Fee if I remember rightly

I'm so sorry, what a worry for you :GroupHug:

Melanoma is a blanket term for a range of tumours, some much more aggressive than others, so without a biopsy it's really very hard to know what you are dealing with.

It also sounds as though in view of her other health issues it's going to be a difficult decision whether to go ahead with the biopsy, and whether you would want to put her through surgery if the lump is malignant.

My old Callie had a malignant melanoma removed shortly after she came to us. Although the vet said there was a chance of further lumps or secondary tumours, she had no further complications and was with us for over a year after the operation and eventually it was her heart that gave out.

For her arthritis I would definitely agree with Ian that a Bioflow collar would be worth a try if she can't tolerate other pain relief, I'm convinced my old greyhound girl really benefitted from hers.

Thank you :flowers:

Lily is wearing a bioflow collar and has been taking glucosamine and cod liver oil for ages. We've also tried alfalfa but it is a huge irritant to her digestive system for some reason.

I'm changing my mind on a daily basis as to the best course of action!