UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Whole Litters Of Pups Being Bought

We have heard through our contact in the Forest of Dean area that whole litters of pups are being bought up, on the same day of the week, and they visit this area every week and it is the same person whose does the buying. Always pays in cash and will take x breeds (in this instance they were Rottie x Huskey) and pedigree and no questions asked.

Has anyone else experienced this in their area. The person I spoke to is extremely worried that these pups could be going to the fur trade.

Another of our contacts in Southern Ireland has had repeated requests for as many non ferral kittens as she can get, as long as they can be handled they will be taken. These are to come to England. Needless to say she told said person where to go, and not as politely.

Both contacts are experienced rescue workers and we have no reason to doubt what they have told us.

I think this has probably been going on for some time, the instance I was told about was a woman in Wales who sold her entire litter of Staffie puppies to a dog dealer who then went on to sell them to pet shops, sadly there is still a trade in pets being sold in pet shops.

I'd be inclined to think they weren't going for fur, it is illeagal to kill animals for their fur in Britain, and I can't imagine it would be economical to transport them abroad to kill them for their pelts.