UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Should I Bandage His Leg Again?

gooster

Well, as you all know by now, Eddie has his little boy bits and his dewclaw removed last Tuesday. We kept it covered till last Friday, when the vet told us to keep it uncovered to let the air get to it, but make sure he keeps his lampshade on so that he doesn't chew at his stitches.

However, the little monkey has worked out that he can still chew at his paw with the collar on, and has been nibbling at his stitches - we can't watch him 24 hours a day, as we need some sleep!!

Do you think that we should recover his paw to stop him chewing at it or not? We can't just bandage it at night, as trying to get the bandage off is a major battle with him :huh:

He's going for his stitches out on Friday, so do you reckon we should leave it uncovered till then, or cover it up till then to stop him chewing at it?

Ho hum, difficult to tell without seeing it....... you've been giving him Arnica, haven't you? Should be pretty close to being healed in that case. I think I'd be tempted to cover it to be sure for tonight.

Does your vet have Bitter Apple? It's stuff you spray on a wound to stop them chewing at it as it tastes lousy - they don't seem to dish it out as much these days for some reason. Pity you're not round the corner, I have some :wink:

As ever, your call, I'd play safe, but then I've had an expert stitch remover in the past! :laugh:

He's still chewing it today, even when I got home and he jumped up to say hello he started chewing on it :rolleyes: Didn't notice him chewing it throughout the night, but I was so tired, I would have slept through anything :rolleyes:

Will take a pic of it later today (dad's using the proper computer..) and post it to see what you think :unsure: I've never had stitches myself, so don't know whether they itch or anything, so don't really know why he's bothered with it...

The skin has sort of met, but it's not totally healed, probably because he's been having a good go at it since Friday when the bandage came off - until then it was healing really quickly and nicely - even the vet was surprised how nicely it was healing. His neutering scar is lovely and neat and clean, but his one on his paw is all soggy :unsure: We have got a bigger lampshade which we just put on him, but it was too big :rolleyes: Am going to cover it up again I think - his last bit of bandage lasted an hour whilst I was out with Charliegoo :rolleyes:

Grrrrrr because he has been licking it so much and pulling at the stitches, he's made them tight and they've got infected. He's on antibiotics for a week and is then going back for a recheck next Friday :rolleyes: We have to keep it covered whenever we go out and on walks - however, the lampshade collar has come off :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Had a look at his leg with my ophthalmoscope (which is what you look inside eyes with) as it has a light and magnifying lenses to make it easier to check.