UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Anyone Watching Casualty

lil_me

Got this bog standard reply, which several people appear to have.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the 15 March episode of 'Casualty'.

We are sorry that you didnt enjoy the storyline which featured a dog.

The breed of dog used in this episode wasnt a Staffordshire bull terrier, it was an American bulldog. We accept and understand that the vast majority of bull breeds behave perfectly well.

However, there have been well documented instances of this breed of dog attacking people, causing serious injury and in the worst cases, death. These instances have been linked to dogs bred to fight illegally and this programme featured just such a dog and highlighted the consequences of this practice.

We had no intention to vilify all dogs and firmly believe that this programme didnt convey that impression.

However, we do acknowledge your concerns and would like to assure you that we have registered your comments on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within the BBC, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are circulated and considered across the BBC.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

BBC Complaints

Got this bog standard reply, which several people appear to have.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the 15 March episode of 'Casualty'.

We are sorry that you didn’t enjoy the storyline which featured a dog.

The breed of dog used in this episode wasn’t a Staffordshire bull terrier, it was an American bulldog. We accept and understand that the vast majority of bull breeds behave perfectly well.

However, there have been well documented instances of this breed of dog attacking people, causing serious injury and in the worst cases, death. These instances have been linked to dogs bred to fight illegally and this programme featured just such a dog and highlighted the consequences of this practice.

We had no intention to vilify all dogs and firmly believe that this programme didn’t convey that impression.

However, we do acknowledge your concerns and would like to assure you that we have registered your comments on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within the BBC, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are circulated and considered across the BBC.

Regards

BBC Complaints

Exactly the same reply I got :angry:

Made me angrier than the original programme!!!!!!!!!! Cannit believe that actually believe this tripe! :angry: :angry:

Edited by kathy40uk

2nd reply from BBC:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding 'Casualty - Diamond Dogs'.

I understand that you would like to know the breed of Dog that featured in the above programme on March 15th, and you would also like to know if it was chosen to portray a dangerous dog.

In regards to your query about the breed of dog, as I am sure you can appreciate, BBC Information receives hundreds of thousands of requests each year for information about specific details in our programmes. We are able to provide answers to nearly all the enquiries we receive.

Occasionally, however, the information requested is not available on our very comprehensive database. As the BBC is committed to ensuring that we derive the best possible value for money for all our Licence Fee payers we can no longer justify searching some of the individual enquiries we were previously able to handle. We regret that your request falls into this category and are sorry that we are unable to supply the information you requested on this occasion. We hope that you will understand the reasons why.

I can assure you that the chosen breed of dog would not have been selected to portray a dangerous dog. 'Casualty is well aware of our commitment to impartiality, and would never set out to cause offense or suggest any breed of dog was dangerous. Senior editorial staff, the Executive Committee and the BBC Trust keep a close watch on programmes to ensure that standards of impartiality are maintained.

Never the less, I have noted your concerns on this matter and I would like to assure you that we have registered your comments on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within the BBC, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are circulated and considered across the BBC.

Regards

David Rattray

BBC Complaints