UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Nuetering

Dobbo

Here are some links to the sites I looked at, but really you can't go wrong with one of the Baskerville muzzles, again made by Company of Animals and available in most pet shops

muzzle 1 I liked the look of these ones as they would let a lot of air through in the summer

2 if your dog has a long enough muzzle these look comfy.

3 I bought this one and it is soft and comfy but I think it might be a bit flimsy for your dog

4 Heavy duty one, I didn't like the look of these ones as they wouldn't allow much circulation of air.

Just look for one that will give him enough movement of his jaws so he can still pant and take a treat and that will allow free air flow so he dosn't get overheated, if you look at the sort of muzzles that are used for racing greyhounds they are light and allow for plenty of air, I'm not a fan of the sleeve type ones, I think they would get very hot and uncomfortable, you have to look to see if the muzzle has. any padding or protection across the bridge of the nose as this is an extremly sensitive part of the nose and will get sore and rubbed very easily

• 2 weeks later...

We walked our GSD Scooby (RIP Scoobs) with a muzzle on for several years as he could be dog aggressive and although he took a while to get used to it, he soon realised that muzzle = walk so would get very excited when it came out and shove his nose in it ready to go. It's not a 'draconian' measure and it will give you peace of mind and make for a more relaxing walk IMO :flowers:

Re the neutering, nobody can guarantee whether it will have an effect on your dog's behaviour, but a neutered dog (male or female) is a happier dog in my experience - I have five (one girl and four boys) and they are all neutered. A couple of them were entire when they came to me and I soon had them lopped off (couldn't stand the humping and cocking legs everywhere :rolleyes: ).

Basic training also comes into play - a good "LEAVE" command would be a good idea but practice it in all sorts of different situations and praise/reward when he does it. A reputable trainer/behaviourist is the way to go once you can afford it :flowers:

Edited by madmerle

• 1 month later...

Hi,

having him "done" you stand a very good chance of making the behaviour *worse* this is logical when explained but is fairly lengthy so if you want me to go into it let me kno :)

you cannot walk a dog on a fabric muzzle - they dont allow the dog to pant and can easily lead to heat exhaustion on even a fairly cool day :) they are for short lived things - like protecting jumpy vets fingers ;)

i would not reccommend fitting a muzzle or neutering him until you have spoken to a reputable behaviourist. mine (who i know i have reccommended on a number of posts now - but she's excellent i assure you !) is www.kizkiznobite.co.uk i would say you want a behaviourist as true "trainer" wont address his issues, just make him better trained. the other thing i would also say is that i PROMISE you she's not as expensive as you see some people advertise. if you are genuinely interested i'm sure i can find out fees for you so you atleast know where you are aiming but you can ask questions for free on a forum she is involved with running or i think via e-mail (not sure if you can reccommend other forums on here so going with the safe option not to at the moment - can someone tell me if its ok to reccommend places?).

Claire.