UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Following On From ....

taylor

I dont understand :unsure: Call me thick but whats the difference between eating a cow and a deer ? The both think , feel and even emote ??? is is because we grew up watching Bambi ? how many commercial and cruel venison farms are there ?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand :unsure: Call me thick but whats the difference between eating a cow and a deer ? The both think , feel and even emote ??? is is because we grew up watching Bambi ? how many commercial and cruel venison farms are there ?

In my opinion there isn't. A life is a life is a life, doesn't matter what shape it comes in. But many people apportion levels of cruelty and freedom which are acceptable to them/ justify it for them to use those animals, eg. cows are being produced for food, so it's okay to use them (regardless of the sentient being factor). Other people reason that the deer will have had a better quality of life before they got killed, so it is okay to eat those. It's got no rhyme or reason to it, just people's own feelings and values (hope I explained that right!).

What's wrong with venison? :unsure: I buy wild venison (and rabbit) for my hounds - obviously I get the general feel of vegans about eating any animal/product, and especially veal with the history of crating, and the fact it's a baby and may make it worse somehow, I get, but not why the lady who feeds her dogs meat won't use venison?

Edited by Anneski

Obviously I cannot answer your specific question as I'm not 'the-lady-who-feeds-her-dogs-meat-but-not-venison', but I might have kind of explained my idea of other people's feelings on this in my post above yours. :unsure:

As a child/teenager I lived in Holland, where horse meat isn't big, but not uncommon either. I was a total horsey-girl, spending 6 out of 7 days at the stables, happily providing free labour to the owner of the place, just so I could be with my beloved horses. I ate meat and cheese, drank milk and wore leather, but there was no way you could make me eat horse meat. I would actually be close to tears whenever I saw it advertised at the butcher's. For me it was all about my feelings for different animals. I then came to the conclusion that that was very hypocritical towards the animals who I didn't care about, such as cows and pigs, because after all it wasn't their fault that I never grew up with them and so never got to know them. That's when I decided to give up animal products all together. Took a while though :)

Although I don't eat meat I know a lot of people will not eat certain animals veal mainly (because of the horrendous way it is reared) & wild animals like venison/emu/alligator I think this is because they feel farm animals are there for food but it is wrong to capture, breed & kill a wild animal for food - I do see where they are coming from, enough farm animals suffer everyday, why inflict it on another breed, let them live as they should.

Right, I can certainly see both of those viewpoints, many thanks for that. :flowers:

For myself I feel more comfortable feeding my dogs an animal that's had a good life in the wild, such as a deer, rather than a farmed animal that may have been fed all sorts of chemicals. :huh:

• 4 weeks later...
I eat meat but i wont touch veal on the principle of it. im sure some will see that as hypocritical but thats my choice

Why not veal?

I accept that the crate system is barbaric and morally indefensible, but it's not used in the UK.

The venison thing I'm still struggling to get my head around too. Either the deer is slaughtered for population control (far more humane than the alternative!!), or they are farmed, but deer cannot be raised intensively. The welfare standards for farming of deer are I believe VERY high, especially when compared to virtually all other meats.

Re: deer, don't we eat/slaughter enough species of animals already?

I was just expressing that I couldn't understand the reasons for refusing to eat deer on a moral principle if you're willing to eat the meat of other animals.

At least wrt deer they are a species that have resisted intensive farming. Whether from a welfare perspective, or from an environmental perspective there can be fewer (if any) more ethically acceptable meats to eat.

Deer are either farmed extensively (ie of all species farmed for meat, they get a better life than most if not all), or they are culled for population control.

IMO it's only right that the bodies of those animals culled to control their populations are used for food.

Animals do not exist simply for us to kill them.

Like it or not, some do. Those that are farmed would not exist at all if we didn't kill them (eg for meat).

Edited by Terrier

I love meat and will continue to eat it along with fish, veg and fruit. Our digestive system is designed to eat meat along with all the others.

In this country farmers can't get away with bad farming practices, they get caught out eventually if they do. To get the most money out of an animal used for food you have to take care of them properly, if you don't the milk/meat is poor. Treat milking cows in the wrong way and they stop giving milk so their income has gone. Feed any animal bred for meat wrong, and you don't get the quality of meat so again their income has gone.

It is illegal in this country to rear veal in crates, they have to have a certain amount of room and are with other calves. It is the same with other animal welfare issues, in this country farmers can't do what they can in other countries which is why I always buy British meat preferably organic or free range.

I notice that video didn't say were those pictures were taken, I doubt it was in this country judging by the state the place was in, same with the animals in the other places, especially the calves in crates.

PETA lie, they put things out as if it is happening in this country when it isn't, it is illegal to kill any animal in this country the way that cow was killed unless it is for Hala meat, then they have to follow very stricted procedures to make sure the animals suffer as little as possible, again they are not killed like that, I would like to see this stopped.

People will always eat meat, I prefer to work towards making the lives of these animals as good as they possibly can be and at the end, that also is as good as it can possibly be.

I was just expressing that I couldn't understand the reasons for refusing to eat deer on a moral principle if you're willing to eat the meat of other animals.

Like it or not, some do. Those that are farmed would not exist at all if we didn't kill them (eg for meat).

The reason I believe is personal limits. As you say yourself at the end, we already have animals who are produced mainly for slaughter for human consumption. Wo do not need to do this to any other species. How about we just learn to live alongside the animals that are still (albeit just about in some cases) classed as 'wild'.

MrsMop. You're right that other countries are far worse but that doesn't mean that what happens in this country is 'ok'. I've grown up around farmers and the farming community, believe me, things DO go on that you would imagine didn't. The choice to buy more ethically produced meat is my point above terrier - personal limits. Which is afterall, what this whole debate is about.

Edited by reds