UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Reasons To Reclaim.

raiye

when they're being neglected, surely? :unsure: I.e. when left for long hours every day, not getting veterinary attention when needed, or being a latch key dog and left to take themselves out rather than being walked. If a rescue has stipulated that the dog should be spayed/neutered before a certain date and proof of this has not been forthcoming - and doG forbid, in case of it being a bitch she has had a litter. :(

Just a couple of things off the top of my head whilst at work.

I only reclaimed once when I discovered the dog was being left outside all day because it "couldn't be housetrained". Laura W (Houndsavers) did it as it was about 150 miles away. That rehoming also made us reconsider the wisdom of rehoming long-distance and, as a result, we brought in a 1 hour/50 mile distance policy.

id say deliberate abuse or neglect is good cause to recalim, for other things (like those you mention) id first like to consult with the adopters and educate them as to why we feel they are "wrong", especially with an obese dog as thats a form of abuse.

If they were accepting of the advice and changed their ways to benefit the dogs welfare, i think id be happy to let the dog stay in home.

Some folk dont mean to be abusive, they just dont know whats in a dogs best interest imo :)

What about other problems? Say the dog is over weight.

Or maybe the dog has HD and is still being let off lead to run for long periods of time.

More 'trivia' problems.

Like Jacqui said, try to educate the people and then arrange to go back at regular intervals for after care, to see that the advice is taken on board.

Kazz xx

• 2 weeks later...