UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dda In Ni To Be Reviewed

EGAR

We need to get a foot in the door, she is taking advise from the wrong peeps ie USPCA:

22 January 2008 - Gildernew meets PSNI on dogs legislation

Minister Michelle Gildernew MP MLA has met with PSNI Assistant Chief Constable Roy Toner to discuss enforcement of dangerous dogs and dog fighting legislation.

Speaking after the meeting the Minister said: “Today’s meeting with the PSNI is an important step in the Review of dangerous dogs and dog fighting legislation that I announced in the Assembly on 20 November 2007 as many of the issues raised by the public and others have centred on enforcement of the dog control legislation and on issues of public safety.â€

The Minister continued: “The Review will take time to complete as I want to ensure that it is as wide-ranging and as comprehensive as possible. I do not want to repeat the mistakes of the past by rushing through new legislation, without full examination of the enforcement and other relevant issues.

“Today’s meeting with the PSNI is the first of several that I will be having with interested parties as part of the Review. I will be shortly seeking a meeting with local District Councils.â€

Notes to Editors:

1. Under the Dogs (Northern Ireland) Order 1983, as amended by the Dangerous Dogs (Northern Ireland) Order 1991, it is an offence to be in possession of certain breeds of dog designated as dangerous, including the pit bull terrier. Enforcement of legislation relating to dangerous dogs is a currently a matter for District Councils in Northern Ireland.

2. Dog fighting is also is also illegal and is regulated under separate and discreet legislation, namely the Welfare of Animals Act (NI) 1972. PSNI are responsible for enforcing this issue.

3. The Minister announced a review of dangerous dogs and dog fighting legislation in a statement to the Assembly on 20 November. This review is underway.

4. The Minister met the PSNI on 22 January to discuss enforcement issues.

5. All media enquiries to DARD Press Office, tel: 028 9052 4619. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.

http://www.northernireland.gov.uk/news/new...-meets-psni.htm

Dog fighting legislation has been considered under the review of animal welfare legislation, and nothing radical was being proposed.

And NOW it's been linked up with the dangerous dogs part of the dog control legislation, the Dogs Order, which has been totally ignored under the welfare legislation review.

I am drafting a letter to her.