UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Medicines

taylor

My local pharmacy has started doing pet prescriptions. We went in and asked today what this entails, It was very interesting the specially employed veterinary nurse explained that the law was passed in 2002 to make animal drugs pharmacy based as opposed to vet surgery based. they sell frontline, drontal and a lot of other pharmacy based meds over the counter and she showed me the prices they will be selling the drugs for. Apparantley the Vet cannot by law charge for a repeat prescription only an initial and regular consultation, 3 to 6 months depending on vet. Being an old rickerty lab owner I asked (obviously) about metacam :rolleyes: and was very suprised to be told the price for metacam 10 ml bottle was less than £5 :) its nearly treble that at my vets :unsure:

She also said that metacams ownership rights are up now and an opposing company are making the same drug called flexicam for half the price , which are also available at the pharmacy.

What do you guys think ?

There's a local chemist here had posters in the window not so long back advertising for exactly this business. If you can get the same product for less money & need it regularly seems you'd be daft not to just for the need of asking for a prescription to me.

Vets can still charge for the time taken to check the records and write the prescription, in my practice this is £6 odd, so basically you may still get charged per prescription. If you are claiming back from insurance i think you have to purchase drugs from the vet.

Edited by lucyandmeg