UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Junk Mail / Spam

Hayley

Just recently I get about 10 emails a day and they are all related to increasing the size of men's parts.

They go a bit like this

Happy Holidays!

U

Gate to your happiness is open!

E

Please yourself and your dear lady with the best present ever!

Extend your meat stick with our new herbal preparation!

N

I

Steamy nights in approaching year are ensured! Buy VPXL now!

I am with btinternet and I never used to get these emails - in the 'To' field is always someone elses name next to my email address.

I am using a Junk mail filter but it makes little difference.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to change my email address

:flowers:

I changed my address!

I found that by putting an underscore between the two parts of my name, I reduced the volume of junk mail to around two items per year, which is less than I receive at work with their supposedly fantastic systems! Good enough for IT illiterate me. I've now done the same with all my e-mail addresses.

So for example, your address could be

[email protected]

Depends how many folks know your e-mail address and stuff - at the time I did mine, it wasn't critical.

There is a free (to private users) spamfilter here

http://www.spamfighter.com/Product_Info.asp

I use the paid version and it`s very good

Thank you but I am a Mac user and that filter only appears to be compatible with Windows. :flowers:

I changed my address!

I really wanted to avoid that - I guess I will just have to live with them :rolleyes:

are you using a .mac address ? they do seem to get a lot of spam ( mine does )

No when I first got my Mac I signed up to .mac and never got junk. I let the membership lapse as when it came to renewal I didn't want to part with the £69 (ish) fee. We had just changed to btinternet so I got an address with them and all was fine up until about a month ago until I started getting all this junk.

In desperation I went back to .mac on Christmas Eve only to discover that when I tried to change my address on eBay and Moonpig I was told that the address [email protected] was already in use by someone else! In fact, on the Moonpig site, by requesting a new password I was sent one and then managed to log into this other Hayley's account and found out her address and other personal details. It turns out that she is [email protected] - only a slight difference but one that those 2 sites didn't pick up the difference in.

I was disappointed that Mac had given two different people such a similar address so decided to cancel my subscription under their 30 day change your mind thing - have emailed twice now though and still no refund. :unsure: