UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Best Type Of Bed And Care For An 'oldie'

Alfiesmum

After searching for our new dog for what seems like ages (I was searching before I posted in the 'Homes Offered' section, we are being homechecked by the RSPCA tomorrow :biggrin: . I wont say too much now about her incase I jinx things - but she is 7 years old (just the age we were looking for). She is in Rescue as her first family, the mum got breastcancer and died, and then she was rehomed to an elderly gentleman (who fed her guiness and custard creams :unsure: as well as dog food). He died at the beginning of December. :mecry:

She is going to need some TLC, she needs a large very soft bed as not only is she over weight (at the moment) but she has got a sore on her elbow which she is having treatment from the vet for. What sort of washable bed would be best? We will be going on some regular walks where she may get a bit muddy, so it must be washable. I would also like her to be able to stretch out rather than have to sleep curled up. I feel that she needs more than just a large piece of vet bed.

Also is there anything I can give her to give her a bit of sparkle back. She will be on Burns, High Oats food to lose the weight, but are there any supplements that she could have that will help protect her joints or just her general wellbeing. The vet has said that she is healthy, but understandably a bit depressed and is a little stiff in her left shoulder due to her weight.

She has always lived in this area and her vet records (which the RSPCA now have) go back all her seven years, she hasnt got any other problems other than weight related ones?

Any other ideas on how to settle an oldie into our home would be gratefully recieved. We also have Alfie aged 5 1/2 months and I have two very dog savvy sons aged 14 and 7 1/2.

Thankyou

Edited by Alfiesmum

Oooh, congratulations, how exciting. Lots of luck with the homecheck tomorrow :flowers:

7 really isn't an 'old' oldie the 7 and 8 year olds are the 'youngsters' in my house, it sounds as though her main problem is more the extra weight than her age and I'm sure she'll soon lose that with a sensible diet and some exercise.

It's hard to recommend a bed without knowing size and breed. For my greyhounds I find a folded duvet is very practical - it's cheap and warm and the covers are easy to wash. If you wanted to look at something liek a memory foam bed I've seen these people recommended:

http://www.jpmailorder.co.uk/sotn/default....24b4df4e9aa4142

Glucosamine supplements are good for joints, and I'm sure the 'sparkle' will come in time just from being secure and loved.

Please let us know how you get on :biggrin:

Our oldies love their Coolaroo beds.

They are off the ground, they can stretch out on them, and if they have an accident it just soaks through.

If you put a bit of vet bed on top that makes it super comfy, and again accidents still just drain through.

In the summer they have them outside for snoozing on like hammocks!

Cleaning is easy, just hose them down and they dry really quickly.

Looks like this company have a special offer on. Coolaroo Beds

The younger dogs love them too - they use them as trampolines! :wacko:

Our oldies love their Coolaroo beds.

They are off the ground, they can stretch out on them, and if they have an accident it just soaks through.

If you put a bit of vet bed on top that makes it super comfy, and again accidents still just drain through.

In the summer they have them outside for snoozing on like hammocks!

Cleaning is easy, just hose them down and they dry really quickly.

Looks like this company have a special offer on. Coolaroo Beds

The younger dogs love them too - they use them as trampolines! :wacko:

Would these by high off the ground? One of my elderly collies needs something comfortable and waterproof but she has arthritis and finds it hard to step up on to and off things.

A lovely oldie I fostered, who was shall we say more than a bit porkey :biggrin: really benefited by replacing a few of her meals with fish (she had arthiritis too and the sores associated with it) canned tuna is ok if you buy it in springwater not brine or the plain fillets you can buy frozen that are boneless - she really lost some weight & her joints improved so much that actually started trotting! I have found the joint care chews good too btu they are expensive. Tempted by those coolaroo beds myself now ...not for me..for the terrible twosome :glare: