UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fostering Over Christmas Period

Peachy

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply :flowers:

I've just called the kennels but have been asked to call back on Monday :wacko: The lady who answered the phone didn't seem to know about fostering (there are leaflets in their reception area and there's a plea on their website) and said it's busy today. She was very pleasant so I asked her to take my details and mention to the kennel owner that I called. Whether or not she'll get the message, I don't know but waiting until Monday for more information seems to be leaving it a bit late, doesn't it? My fault for dithering :huh:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not your fault for dithering, think of it in a different way- it maybe that greater forces may be holding back for a special doggie :rolleyes: I'm a great believer in fate, there may be one (or 2), that come in over the weekend who will need an extra special, warm and loving place :biggrin: .

Good luck and keep us posted

It's probably the lady you spoke to doesn't deal with the fostering side. The fostering person may not work weekends or has this weekend off and will be in on Monday. Rescues are always up the wall and may not have the time to get back to you. If it was me I'd ring them and ask to speak to the lady on Monday. I'm sure she'll be pleased to receive your call. :flowers:

It's probably the lady you spoke to doesn't deal with the fostering side. The fostering person may not work weekends or has this weekend off and will be in on Monday. Rescues are always up the wall and may not have the time to get back to you. If it was me I'd ring them and ask to speak to the lady on Monday. I'm sure she'll be pleased to receive your call. :flowers:

That's exactly what I'll do if I don't hear from them over the weekend :flowers:

Don't think I'd be able to send him / her back to kennels once I'd fostered them but that's not to say you couldn't shouldn't - assuming you really want to of course (or is this just a means of convincing yourself or someone else against their "better judgement" that you need to give another dog a home? :unsure: Even if that's not so the argument re holidays etc for people does seem to have a logic to it & I would think volunteer time would be less available over xmas so you could really help this dog enjoy a happier xmas even if it is only for a short time

We have a number of dogs that have gone to Christmas foster homes. Bertie the 3/4 Bassett has been in kennels for a while and is only 9 months. Not only does it give him a chance of having lots of fun but it will provide loads more information for someone who expresses an interest in adopting him.

The others are ones that are already in foster but need to be moved for the holiday. Sadley we have had to put some into kennels but they will be out soon and back into foster.

Fostering how ever long the period of time is pretty much vital for alot of dogs.

I live and work at a kennels and over the years we have had numerous dogs that kennel guard. What chance would that dog ever have of being rehomed if his kennel behaviour was to go by?

thats a really valid point

Fostering how ever long the period of time is pretty much vital for alot of dogs.

I live and work at a kennels and over the years we have had numerous dogs that kennel guard. What chance would that dog ever have of being rehomed if his kennel behaviour was to go by?

Depends if the kennels are open for the public to roam around ind, or they have a quick chat about what dog suits them best, and then potential dogs are brought out to meet them.

Depends if the kennels are open for the public to roam around ind, or they have a quick chat about what dog suits them best, and then potential dogs are brought out to meet them.

thats true but if the rescue only have kennel behaviour to go on it can be harder for them to match to a home if the dog is showing guarding behaviour because they would have to mention that and if they don't know if its just related to the kennel/rescue environment then its going to put a lot of people off

I've just called the kennels again. They said they're really busy today so there's no time to introduce my dogs to any of the ones needing fostering so I've left my details again, just in case, and will speak to them about fostering in general when I take Ronnie for hydrotherapy on Thursday.

:partytime: :partytime:

Good news!! My ex-OH has just called me to say he's at the kennels now and is collecting Rhani and Baker as Christmas fosters :biggrin:

He's closer the kennels than I am so has better access to their vet (just in case), in fact he lives about 100 yards from one of the surgeries in the same group. He knows loads about pointies now and misses the company of dogs terribly but is off work for another three weeks so this is ideal. He doesn't have any other pets so there will be no integration problems. He's going to his parents house for a couple of days on Boxing Day so these babies will be spoilt rotten by another dog-free but dog-friendly house, with lots of treats and proper home cooking in the Peak District.

Also, a friend of mine is really keen on adopting Rhani so at least he will be able to know more about what he's like a home environment.

Oh, I'm so pleased I rang him this morning to tell him that the kennels were still welcoming foster homes for Christmas... :wink:

I'll post photos tomorrow as they will be coming here first thing in the morning to open presents with my hounds :biggrin: