UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice Please

Cathy

Can anyone advise me please. I am a volunteer for Cinnamon Trust and one of the ladies I am assisting at present has long haired Collies. One of the dogs who has to live outside in a kennel with open run and I think because he sits down in the wet his coat around his hindquarters are very matted. How can I deal with this, should I try and cut the matted hair away ? Hope someone has some sdvice for me.

Yes I do need to get the lady to agree, that's why I thought I should ask for advice before I suggest anything to her. She asked me if I could help the dog but I think she thought just brushing would do the trick. I did wash him down to see if the lumps would soften up but the coat is beyond that so more drastic action is needed.

I'd try to tease them out gently with scissors, cutting them out as you go. Johnsons groom spray helps sometimes as well. I used a small spray bottle with conditioner mixed with warm water when Dylan (Bridge baby) first came to me. He was a right mess. :(

Once the matts are out and you have the coat under control it will be so much easier. A quick rake out each day with a slicker should see him a lot more comfortable.

Kazz xx