UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Independent Greyhound Review By Lord Ashton

Nettie

Have had a quick look through although I'm going to read the whole thing but from what I've seen, I'm far from impressed :angry:

All it appears to recommend is a single structure amalgamating the NGRC and BRGB and 'rebranding'. Well its got lots of add ins but nothing firm from that.

It doesn't appear to do much for welfare other than register pups earlier. It also recommends (against the APGAW report) NOT to have anyone from 'welfare' side on a committee :wacko:

Was also very shocked to see that someone who should be from an animal welfare background involved in it :unsure:

Am most pizzled off at them accepting that dogs will continue to have to die to support the industry and accepting this as long as its done humanely. I think thats where I struggle - I don't think that should ever be the case...

Bookmakers are an integral part of greyhound racing, without whom the sport could not survive. Some, including the major ones, make a voluntary contribution of 0.6% of their relevant turnover to the industry's British Greyhound Racing Fund (BGRF).. around £11.5 million in 2006. This contribution has apparently helped finance a greatly increased central expenditure on greyhound welfare in recent years.

Clearly isn't enough though is it, hence the RGT send you a cardboard collecting box with your edition of Homer magazine :rolleyes: They should be sending those boxes to the owners, trainers, management and bookies not pet owners who have already relieved those people of their unwanted dogs.

Edited by Happylittlegreensquirrel
edited as requested by poster

I'm a little stunned that they think promising a percentage of the registration fee back will avoid the death of a past it dog. If they impose a registration fee of £200 - they'll never pass a higher amount - say they give 10% back, thats £20. Its not exactly an incentive. They should be obligated to rehome the dogs, not given a cash incentive to do it.