UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Death Penalty

merledogs

with the advent of modern day forensics, dna testing and all the scientific knowledge that can go into

investigations (murder/kidnap etc) then if the weight of evidence in 100% then if the sentence is

death so be it.

the world is better off without these people, 20 years on death row just isnt the same

if found guilty in these circumstances they should be executed within 3 months

8 years ago the forensic evidence which convicted Barry George of the murder of Jill Dando was considered to be indisputable. Now he is having an appeal and some experts are saying it was pretty worthless.

Science moves on and I don't think we can ever be 100% sure.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with the advent of modern day forensics, dna testing and all the scientific knowledge that can go into

investigations (murder/kidnap etc) then if the weight of evidence in 100% then if the sentence is

death so be it.

As Sproggie said, there is no such thing as 100% evidence. It's about probabilities.

The Barry George appeal case is due to the "vital" evidence now being accepted that it could have mistakenly been transferred to his coat during the forensic testing process.

the world is better off without these people, 20 years on death row just isnt the same

Just wondering how you know that? Do you honestly think that spending 20 years of your life on death row, waiting to be executed, is better than being killed within 3 months? 20 years on death row sounds like torture to me. A friend writes to a death row inmate in the US and has done so for a good number of years, he has many a time said he wished to be dead and to cut out the waiting.

Wouldn't let me edit but on the theme of evidence being 100% (which is purely an ideal) then remember the assurance of the 'fact' that beef was safe to eat during BSE? Then of course there's the Hutton report into the infamous Weapons of Mass Destruction....

Our local housing assosiation has a zero tolerance for people convicted of drug offences, you get convicted of dealing whilst living in one of their houses and you are evicted, this seems to be working as the most netorious estate in the town now feels better when you walk through it, so maybe it does work

We do this too,either a demotion or eviction.It gets the message accross.We use ABCs quite a bit too (acceptable behaviour contracts) mostly with success as the police serve them in the presence of the parents.The parents (mostly) give 100% backing to it.

• 1 month later...

I agree firmly with the death penalty and nothing that I have read has altered my opinion. Pre meditated vicious murderers,paedophiles,repeated aggressive rapists(especially of the elderly),gangs of thugs that kill, torturers in fact anyone who inflicts serious and perveted (in my view) pain/injury on another human being should be pts. I dont approve of hanging,i think that is barbaric and I think spending donkeys years in death row going through umpteen appeals is ridiculous. If convicted beyond doubt then they should have a lethal injection. If its good enough for aggressive dogs then its certainly good enough for scum. Sorry if this sounds as tho I think everything is black and white,I can see shades of grey but scum should be eradicated in my view.x

• 2 weeks later...

Not allowed ..... the UK may no longer legislate to restore the death penalty while it is subject to the European Convention on Human Rights, we acceded to the 13th protocol, thereby giving away our right to legislate.

I was against it being removed in the first place, back in the 60's this discussion raged, since abolition I have to say there are many times I wish it had never been abolished or had been restored. :angry: Hard labour?? I'm all in favour of it, prisoners have a far better standard of living than many pensioners who have served their country, worked all their days and paid NI which it was promised would provide for them cradle to grave!

To be fair though, I think much more damage has been done to society by lawmakers. Laws brought in to prevent abuse, have outlawed all physical punishment by teachers and parents to a point where many adults feel uncomfortable being close to or touching a child even to put a plaster on a skinned knee. That is ludicrous! Parents NOT (or prevented by law from) sensibly chastising their children - to the point the child will now quote child abuse law to or threaten the parent!! As a child I would not have dared speak to any adult the way I hear some children talk to their elders today. Hence the deteriorating behaviour in schools and increasing attacks on teachers by pupils. The old adage about "Spare the rod and spoil the child" springs to mind.

I punished my children appropriately and yes the occasional smack on the legs when they placed themselves or others in danger, as indeed I had been similarly punished (I remembered the lesson and was too embarrassed to do the same thing again :wink: ). No damage done, and I would argue that my adult children are not selfish, are sensible and caring people; just as society would like all children to turn out.

This thread reminded me of a posting which was a comparison in attitudes between 1957 and 2007 I saw on another forum recently, and the difference in perceptions and response between people then and now to exactly the same scenarios! :wink: Back then, if someone came to your door because you'd misbehaved you got slapped legs, no ifs, no buts, no maybes! Try asking a parent to correct their child nowadays and you get "my son/daughter wouldn't do that".

Very interesting thread!

Edited by Fifer