UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Quarantine And Vaccination

EGAR

My biggest problem when workin with some other rescues is that they vacc on arrival and do not quarantine newcomers, even when they come from the pound.

I wait at least 2 weeks before I'd vacc a dog if it has displayed no symptoms of a disease. I only worm on arrival (if the animal is in a fit state for it) and deflea only if necessary. I always quarantine dogs.

Maybe it is only an Irish *problem* but I wonder.

I posted this in contro as there are bound to be differences in opinions.

Sarah

I have always been of the belief that some "Irish" vaccinations are different to ours anyway. :unsure:

Dogs coming from pounds even over here can be harbouring KC at the very least. Parvo is a killer as most people know. 1 of our main dogs homes in the UK had it a while ago and I was shocked to say the least when it was announced on the news that they would be closed for 2 weeks for rehoming. :ohmy: Just 2 weeks :ohmy:

Parvo can be "festering" for months after. :(

Sorry, going off topic Sarah.

To answer your question, I agree newcomers should be quarantined. I don't agree with Irish rescues sending dogs straight over here from pounds etc without first quarantining them to see what may be harbouring first.

I know there are lots that send them over by van from Ireland to Hollyhead straight into foster or even homes. :( I don't like it/ agree with it.

Just my thoughts. :flowers:

Kazz xx

Most vets in Ireland use Novibac vaccines here, which are made by Intervet

One difference that people may be talking about is that some rescues here will use a single parvo vaccine initially as opposed to the full dhppi and lepto vaccine, and as it is not yet illegal to vaccinate if one is not a vet here, vaccinations can be done by non vets

DUH that's two differences!

I have no problem with pound dogs going over to UK rescues as long as the transporter and the rescue are aware of potential risks and act accordingly (desinfection of van and quarantining of dogs on arrival). I didn't mean for this thread to become an Irish issue, what I want to know is: how do other rescues do it re vacc and quarantine?

The vaccination is the same here as it is in UK, same producer, same vaccines.

Sarah

Most vets in Ireland use Novibac vaccines here, which are made by Intervet

One difference that people may be talking about is that some rescues here will use a single parvo vaccine initially as opposed to the full dhppi and lepto vaccine, and as it is not yet illegal to vaccinate if one is not a vet here, vaccinations can be done by non vets

DUH that's two differences!

It says on the vaccines that we have here that a single parvo vaccine is all that is needed for the first one but the second must be the full dhppi and lepto vaccine so any vets not doing it this way are over vaccinating our dogs to get more money out of us. :flowers: