UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What They Never Told You!

dognabbit

Having been brought up on a farm none of our animals were treated like that, they were well treated, well cared for and well fed. They got the best of everything and had plenty of freedom as well. All the farms round about all treated their animals the same as us.

I am always very suspicious of what PETA says, they deliberately make things a lot worse than they are to get the reaction they want. Don't forget, according to them we shouldn't have our dogs either, we should release them to fend for themselves.

Whether you are a veggie or not is a personal decision, we should not be be continually battered for what we eat. Many meat eaters are working for a better life for farm animals, and already they have made a big difference.

This should be in Contro.

I disagree, after watching the video I can't see how any one could argue that those animals were not being abused

to be honest the video ( and seeing the dairy cow stumbling ) has made me decide to do something I have been faffing around thinking about doing for ages and I will be changing my veggie diet to Vegan after my next trip to Sri Lanka in October

Thanks for the link Gary ,

Yes, animals are treated in a despicable way in places and intensive farming is awful to the animals, to the human food chain and is destroying acres of land all over the world to grow fodder for beef cattle etc. Yes, pig cognition levels are the same as a dog and as a 3 year old child, yes all livestock animals have their own foibles, like to play, like to indulge in species-specific behaviours, that's an innate thing that thay do and should be allowed to do to live happily. Yes, we should all eat more veggie food, or rather non-meat food. There was a time when meat was a treat and not something you expected to get everyday (I'm 26 and I remember this!) The amount of intensively reared meat that so many people passively consume in processed foods is shocking IMO.

**BUT** remember this footage is from the USA, it doesn't make it less hocking, only perhaps less representative of what we have here in the UK. We do, despite the so-frequent reasons to doubt it, the highest standards of animal welfare *in the world*, we have so many hoops and laws regarding animals in our society that its the infringements of the law that make the news. Something that is newsworthy here may be an everyday occurence elsewhere. And still our standards are not high enough IMHO. I am a meat eater-though infrequently as I prefer to buy "ethical" organic local meat and its expensive. If we had a more savvy consumer society with regard to animal welfare these scenes would be less and less frequent.

Also please remember that PETA have their own agenda, they have been on dodgy ground themselves with some of their claims, ideals and methods.

I disagree, after watching the video I can't see how any one could argue that those animals were not being abused

I didn't argue that they weren't being abused, I just felt that the topic was worthy of proper debate and that the controversial forum would be the place where that would be most likely to happen :flowers:

Yes, animals are treated in a despicable way in places and intensive farming is awful to the animals, to the human food chain and is destroying acres of land all over the world to grow fodder for beef cattle etc.

There are people who treat animals in a despicable way but most don't, most treat them in a decent way and take good care of them. When animals are your living if you don't take care of them you are soon broke. Dogs are a good example, just because a few neglect or are cruel to them doesn't mean everyone is. What people get away with in America, you can't in the UK, again the differences in dog training shows up just how much difference there is between us.

Intensive farming is slowly going thank goodness, but it is us that farmers produce meat for, if we don't buy the intensive farmed meat farmers won't produce it.

If fodder isn't grown for beef cattle etc, what will the land be used for? If you are thinking of providing grains for humans, then there is no difference in providing it for animals or humans, you will still get the same rate of destruction.

If fodder isn't grown for beef cattle etc, what will the land be used for? If you are thinking of providing grains for humans, then there is no difference in providing it for animals or humans, you will still get the same rate of destruction.

Good point, I think I was mainly thinking of the USA and the countries of South America where they're cutting down rainforest to clear land to grow cattle fodder and corn for corn oil which gets in all sorts of foodstuff but is for a different debate!

I am always very suspicious of what PETA says, they deliberately make things a lot worse than they are to get the reaction they want. Don't forget, according to them we shouldn't have our dogs either, we should release them to fend for themselves.

Whether you are a veggie or not is a personal decision, we should not be be continually battered for what we eat. Many meat eaters are working for a better life for farm animals, and already they have made a big difference.

Can you point me to a link to where PETA say we should be releasing our pets please, all I could find was this

http://www.peta.org/campaigns/ar-petaonpets.asp

Thanks

Can you point me to a link to where PETA say we should be releasing our pets please, all I could find was this

http://www.peta.org/campaigns/ar-petaonpets.asp

Thanks

All I could find was this (am procrastinating at work :rolleyes: ). I know the site is potentially dubious, but *anything* you read on t'interweb is dubious, from PETA, the BBC or wherever. Why do we inherantly believe one site over another? (Not a question you skyblusu, I am just musing to myself :flowers: )

There are people who treat animals in a despicable way but most don't, most treat them in a decent way and take good care of them. When animals are your living if you don't take care of them you are soon broke.

I disagree. If you think about the amount a supermarket sells a chicken for (What is it, about £4, I wouldn't know), and then think that from that the supermarket has to make a profit, whoever prepares and packs it for the supermarket has to make a profit, the abbatoir has to make a profit and the farmer has to make a profit, then the only way that can happen is to cut as many corners as possible. Cram as many chickens in to the space you have as you can, overfeed them and give them hormones so they grow quicker so you can slaughter them sooner and get the next lot in, don't pay anyone to clean the shed in that time cos no-one minds if their legs are burnt from the ammonia in their own excreta, use automatic machinery to slaughter them cos it's cheaper than paying someone, never mind that the machinery doesn't take into account the wiggling of a terrified upside down bird and might miss and mean the bird is boiled alive. Anywhere that animals are used to make money there will be suffering cos good animal welfare costs money.

it is us that farmers produce meat for, if we don't buy the intensive farmed meat farmers won't produce it.

That I agree with!

No you don't because growing crops to feed humans is vastly more efficient than growing crops to feed animals to feed humans.