UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Right Finish

SDS

Can somebody help me with any tips on training and perfecting a right hand finish. Myself and China have mastered the left hand finish but are struggling with a good way to teach right. My training instructor simply suggests a tit bit in hand and follow around back of legs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:biggrin:

Have the dog, with lead on, sitting in front of you in the 'present' position.

Step back with your right foot( so are standing with your right leg out behind you) and shift your weight on to that foot.

Lead the dog ,with the right hand on the lead, past your right foot and round behind you, changing the lead to the left hand when round the back. With the left hand on the lead, bring the dog round to sit at your left hand side while bringing your weight back to your left foot.

Bring your right foot back to level with your right foot.

Praise and reward your dog.

If you have a big dog you need to take a bigger step back than with a small dog. Stepping back is so that you can keep your balance while leading the dog round behind you.

With this method the dog is learning to go tight round the right leg.

As the dog gets the idea gradually shorten the step back until you are not moving the right foot at all. The dog will still go round your right foot and round to the left hand side.

If the dog starts to go wide behind you stand in front of a wall leaving just enough room for the dog to go between you and the wall.

It might be an idea to practice without the dog first :laugh:

• 1 month later...