UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Can You Tell Me About

Jacobean

This is a company who have a network of dog trainers all over the UK. Has anyone had any dealings with them. Do they use kind, positive methods. Do the trainers come across as confident and good in their field? Or does it depend on the person. They appear to run franchises and I have asked them for more information regarding this as I want to start a new career in dog behaviour/training. Thought I would ask the all knowing fugees their opinions before giving Bark Busters serious consideration. For the sake of the refuge maybe if you have negative things to say you had best pm/email me lol.

Based on a friend's experience, so not first hand, I'd avoid like the plague. All focussed on 'dominance' - any issue was dominance-related and could be fixed by eating first, walking through doors first and liberal use of water sprays, key throwing etc.

They recruit anyone - often former clients - with no need for any dog experience and give them a short training course.

Friend's resource guarding / insecure dog went from warning growls to full on biting thanks to their interventions. It's taken over 12 months intensive work with a proper behaviourist to get him back and restore his confidence.

insecure dog went from warning growls to full on biting thanks to their interventions.

this is what happened to a dog i know a (large) chain was thrown at the very scared dog, after several other sequences of events that i wont go into, the dog became very aggressive and it was PTS

You don't need a franchise to get started in dog training/behaviour, start part time while keeping your job and advertise in vets, pets shops etc. Also go round the local village halls and ask if you can run training classes there, local farmers or your local council for classes outside. As your business grows you can then give your job up.

Good luck :flowers:

Unfortunately a friend at work has just used them at the weekend which is how I came to hear about them. The methods used were kind. I haven't had chance to ask her everything she was advised to do but the little bit she did tell me sounded good at least. It possibly depends on the individual trainers concerned. I certainly am only interested in using kind, positive methods.

Edited by Jacobean

I dogsat for a friend who had used them. Her dog pulled on the lead. If he pulled I was supposed to throw chains at his feet, shout BAAAHH and jerk his collar. They also threw water balloons at his feet, and a couple of other things that I don't recall. I couldn't control him, and wasn't willing to jerk him around, so it was all a bit difficult. They gave up that regime in the end and now he walks well on a head halter.

It possibly depends on the individual trainers concerned.

I don't think it does. It seems that there is a house style which is outdated and based on aversives.

It's rather like those annoying cold callers who ring at tea time and give you a scripted spiel.

I would say run for your life from any organisation that doesn't require any dog experience when recruiting its operatives. I don't think it's insignificant that people skills are deemed more important from their web site. All the better to sell the product, of course.

Pam

There is a course that people have to do before they can start to train dogs.

The lady who was visited at the weekend has told me everything that was said. Some things I disagree with as they seem daft but then all trainers have a tendency to use their own ways. Nothing big or to worry about. She hasn't been shown to use any tactics such as throwing things to disturb her dog. Most of what she was told was pretty sound and nothing I haven't heard before. Maybe this particular trainer has completed the course, read other books etc and is using some different methods to the main.

I've received the information and decided it isn't for me. This has helped though so thanks. :flowers: On to the next one now.

Edited by Jacobean